Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by wannaberocker View Post
    Gotcha. Though i donít get why that past experience should taint people's view of every Christian they come in contact with. There are people of different faiths who abstain from eating or drink certain items. Yet, iv never heard people say "oh look at that holier-than- thou Hindu who doesnít eat beef" or "look at that holier-than- thou Muslim who doesnít eat pork".
    Christians can be made fun of, it's socially acceptable. There are also a lot of hypocrites.. Christian and non, who make it harder for the rest of us. Although we're all hypocrites to a certain extent because we're all sinners. It's not fair but it is that way in my view.

It's not PC to talk smack about Hindus or Muslims!
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Whether it's Christian values or just basic beliefs in decency, you're starting a long and sometimes lonely path in business. I was in office equipment sales for over 30 years. I cannot tell you all the partying and drinking I saw. When I went on sales award trips, it was uncomfortable. I never fit in, was taunted for not drinking and smoking. When I started in sales, there were very few women in my industry. So it was tough trying to fit in with a bunch of guys who were telling all the raunchy stories, getting so drunk that sometimes I'd see them literally crawling on the sidewalk on their way to a morning meeting after way too much partying the previous night.

I would expect that behavior out of teenagers, not adults. I was asking the other day what type of loser needs their friends to drink or smoke with them. Going by the rest of your post, it sounds like they might have been jealous too.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Yeah. Why is it that people who don't drink because of Christian beliefs feel compelled to explain to everyone why they behave as they do?
    I just don't drink. End of sentence.
    "Why"?......Tell em why, if they really want to know; it's not good for you; makes me dizzy; I'm driving; it's just a choice I made long ago..........You can say lots of things that do not come across as condescending.
    I don't drink, but not because of my Christian beliefs. I don't drink because I'm an alcoholic. For those groups who believe that Christ forbids people imbibing, they are just plain interpreting Scripture in a way that the Holy Spirit never intended. The Bible never tells us not to drink. It tells us not to drink to excess or to get drunk. Then again the Bible is against doing most anything to excess which is very good advice.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I don't drink, but not because of my Christian beliefs. I don't drink because I'm an alcoholic. For those groups who believe that Christ forbids people imbibing, they are just plain interpreting Scripture in a way that the Holy Spirit never intended. The Bible never tells us not to drink. It tells us not to drink to excess or to get drunk. Then again the Bible is against doing most anything to excess which is very good advice.
    You are correct the Bible dosnt forbid drinking, but forbids drunkness. That is why i refuze to drink because i always though the point of drinking was to get drunk. So if being drunk is forbiden, then why drink to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by wannaberocker View Post
    You are correct the Bible dosnt forbid drinking, but forbids drunkness. That is why i refuze to drink because i always though the point of drinking was to get drunk. So if being drunk is forbiden, then why drink to begin with.
    You can have a drink just to take the edge off at a party...to unwind, to be social, to celebrate an occasion, a drink with dinner..etc. Most people I know don't drink to get drunk, but it can happen. It's happened to me a few times in my lifetime...not a feeling I enjoyed. I love ordering a drink on vacations overlooking the pool or ocean. It does not make me a drunk or an alcoholic. I occasionally have a glass of wine with dinner if I'm out. It does not make me a drunk.

Now I do admit, during a few difficult periods in my life, I found myself enjoying a drink every night after work. I thought I was developing a problem so I made a conscious decision to stop after work drinks. It was easy. So I guess it wasn't a problem..just a way for me to relieve some stress.

Like FLAgator said, anything in excess, is damaging.