1. #1 The Volunteer Army 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    kentuck is a piece of work...

Sun May 27, 2012, 07:40 PM
    kentuck

The Volunteer Army

Chris Hayes had a mother of a GI that committed suicide on his show this morning. It was wrenching to hear her tell the story of how her son slowly came to his decision. He had been a short order cook at IHOP before joining the Army. He was sent to Iraq and then went for another tour of duty after that. She explained how his laughter had become forced and unnatural upon his return from his first tour of duty.

He had tried to commit suicide several times with pills and pills and whiskey and the psychiatrist always said he was well enough to perform his duties. Finally, he hung himself and there were no more meetings with any Army psychiatrists.

I was a non-combat GI during the Vietnam War and I went back for a second tour of duty in October of 1968. It was very difficult mentally. I turned to drugs and opium dens to escape the reality. I cannot comprehend how some of these young people go for four or five or more tours of duty in a place like Afghanistan? I do not think I would have made it thru a third tour, even though I was in a non-combat unit.

But, on this day of remembrance, it seems to me that these young people are treated like pieces on a board game. Just because they are volunteers does not mean they are supermen. It is cruel and inhumane to treat our own soldiers in this manner, in my opinion. We cannot continue to send them to the far corners of the earth and then forget about them. We must understand what they are going thru.
    So ole kentuck admits to being a drug addicted loser but feels he can speak for our troops...
    What a POS, some morons just don't know when to keep their mouths shut.
    May the FORCE be with you!

But, on this day of remembrance, it seems to me that these young people are treated like pieces on a board game. Just because they are volunteers does not mean they are supermen. It is cruel and inhumane to treat our own soldiers in this manner, in my opinion. We cannot continue to send them to the far corners of the earth and then forget about them. We must understand what they are going thru.
    I was going to [B] some lines of that but the whole thing ticks me off. Who do you mean kentuck, when you say "we"? I'm not for sure on this but I highly doubt you supported either war when Bush was in charge and if you support Afghanistan now, you're a partisan. Who forgets about them? People of your ilk I'd say. You prove, by your posting this the day before Memorial Day, that YOU treat the soldiers like pieces on a board game. YOU use them to forward your own liberal craziness. That is despicable to me.

You understand what they're going through? I doubt that but I can tell you about a man I know and what he's going through. He's a Sergeant in the "Volunteer Army". He's only done one tour in Iraq but he came home with PTSD. You know why he didn't hang himself? Because his mother (he's not married) saw to it that he was ok. I didn't just ship him off to a shrink and then wonder why oh why did he do such a thing.

If you're a soldier asking for help, if you're on medication for depression or PTSD or any other psych med, I'm pretty sure you don't get redeployed. Take from that what you will in regard to the story you posted.

And stop using people like my son to forward your warped opinions.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    kentuck is a piece of work...

So ole kentuck admits to being a drug addicted loser but feels he can speak for our troops...
    What a POS, some morons just don't know when to keep their mouths shut.
    I'd be more than happy to shut it for him.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

You can start by not condescending to us, or protesting every time we set our boots on the ground on behalf of the country that you can't even pretend to love.
    Last edited by Odysseus; 05-28-2012 at 12:07 PM.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Some people just don't hold up well when sent to distant and isolated places. There isn't any proven way to reliably screen them all out in advance, and the results don't always show up while they're deployed. Even if we could identify them, the Army would still have to take them thanks to the Congressional point of view that the Army is basically a social experiment rather than a sword or shield, unless someone is actually about to kill them.

Still, a sword that isn't used either rusts or becomes a pretty decorative piece that nobody remembers how to use. Going to ugly places, to meet strange people bad and good, and do unpleasant things that the current political leadership has decided are somehow good for us even if you don't think so, is pretty much what the job is all about, and anyone who can't deal with that should just shut their piehole and find another line of work.

Kentuck, I say this with all the meaning I have in my heart.

Go suck on the busy end of a firearm you piece of shit.

My father served 20 years in the air force with a total of three tours of duty in SE Asia with one of those tours operating as an air traffic controller in a forward operating base that was getting shelled 2-3 nights a week. He was spit on coming thru the San Francisco airport after his second tour of duty by some flea infested maggot. Like the vast majority of Vietnam vets, he came back to lead a normal life without the drug abuse you so proudly remember.

I would gather you probably had a drug problem before you went in..................If you even served at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
    Kentuck, I say this with all the meaning I have in my heart.

Go suck on the busy end of a firearm you piece of shit.

My father served 20 years in the air force with a total of three tours of duty in SE Asia with one of those tours operating as an air traffic controller in a forward operating base that was getting shelled 2-3 nights a week. He was spit on coming thru the San Francisco airport after his second tour of duty by some flea infested maggot. Like the vast majority of Vietnam vets, he came back to lead a normal life without the drug abuse you so proudly remember.

I would gather you probably had a drug problem before you went in..................If you even served at all.
    Oh, Tavs is a real veteran all right...of the War on Drugs.