Thread: German teen solves 300-year-old mathematical riddle posed by Sir Isaac Newton

1. #1 German teen solves 300-year-old mathematical riddle posed by Sir Isaac Newton 
    Link
    DRESDEN, Germany A German 16-year-old has become the first person to solve a mathematical problem posed by Sir Isaac Newton more than 300 years ago.

Shouryya Ray worked out how to calculate exactly the path of a projectile under gravity and subject to air resistance, The (London) Sunday Times reported.

The Indian-born teen said he solved the problem that had stumped mathematicians for centuries while working on a school project.

Ray won a research award for his efforts and has been labeled a genius by the German media, but he put it down to "curiosity and schoolboy naivety."

"When it was explained to us that the problems had no solutions, I thought to myself, 'well, there's no harm in trying,'" he said.

Ray's family moved to Germany when he was 12 after his engineer father got a job at a technical college. He said his father instilled in him a "hunger for mathematics" and taught him calculus at the age of six.

Ray's father, Subhashis, said his son's mathematical prowess quickly outstripped his own considerable knowledge.

"He never discussed his project with me before it was finished and the mathematics he used are far beyond my reach," he said.

Despite not speaking a word of German when he arrived, Ray will this week sit Germany's high school leaving exams, two years ahead of his peers.

Newton posed the problem, relating to the movement of projectiles through the air, in the 17th century. Mathematicians had only been able to offer partial solutions until now.

If that wasn't enough of an achievement, Ray has also solved a second problem, dealing with the collision of a body with a wall, that was posed in the 19th century.

Both problems Ray resolved are from the field of dynamics and his solutions are expected to contribute to greater precision in areas such as ballistics.
    How bout that!
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

The supposed solution is nowhere available on the net so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I am not immediately accepting it as a done deal.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.

Question: Since it's an unsolved problem and since Newton's been dead for centuries, how do we know it's the correct answer?
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Question: Since it's an unsolved problem and since Newton's been dead for centuries, how do we know it's the correct answer?
    Newton didn't know the answer, he posed the question to find the answer.

If a mathematical equation is correct, the proof is evident in itself.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    An experiment will be set up and his solution will be used to calculate the outcome of that experiment. If the results are within the margin of error and it can be repeated by other groups of experiments then the solution will be considered as valid.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    An experiment will be set up and his solution will be used to calculate the outcome of that experiment. If the results are within the margin of error and it can be repeated by other groups of experiments then the solution will be considered as valid.
    Thanks for clearing that up.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy