Thread: What is a hero?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Well, well, guess who's backing up the truck.
    MSNBC host Hayes apologizes for 'heroes' comments
    Link
    I'm sorry I got caught. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    People get the term "role model" mixed up with the word "hero". I agree with the original statement that a hero is someone who risks his life for someone else. Cops, firefighters, soldiers, are all people who work in jobs in which they risk their lives for someone else or for something larger. The bystander who risks his life to save another-a neighbor who runs into a burning house to rescue someone is a good example of a hero, too.

A role model is someone who set a good example, at least if used in a positive manner. There are lots of them out there.

The word hero has been used in the pop culture to describe someone who is really a role model.
    What Mike said:

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsean View Post
    Heroes intentionally put themselves in harms way to protect another. Peacetime military members fit under that definition because danger could arise at any time. Or someone like a Mother Teresa and many others who offer their lives to the betterment of the unfortunate.
    And since it was on yesterday, the most amazing definition of "hero" ever in the history of mankind, starting at 1:25:

In case you can't youtube:

"Do you remember ... the letter that Mike Ranney wrote me?"
    "You do?"
    "Do you remember how he ended it?"
    [apparent "no" answer from off camera]
    "I cherish the memories of a question my grandson asked me the other day, when he said 'Grampa, were you a hero in the war?'"
    "Grampa said 'No, but I served in the company of heroes.'"
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

"Do you remember ... the letter that Mike Ranney wrote me?"
    "You do?"
    "Do you remember how he ended it?"
    [apparent "no" answer from off camera]
    "I cherish the memories of a question my grandson asked me the other day, when he said 'Grampa, were you a hero in the war?'"
    "Grampa said 'No, but I served in the company of heroes.'"
    It's what you will hear virtually every war veteran say, and it gives you chills. They all look at their own deeds as doing what was necessary. No more. No less.

Btw when you see the real Bill Guarnere, was there ever a better casting in the history of movies? It could be his grandson.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsean View Post
    It's what you will hear virtually every war veteran say, and it gives you chills. They all look at their own deeds as doing what was necessary. No more. No less.

Btw when you see the real Bill Guarnere, was there ever a better casting in the history of movies? It could be his grandson.
    Heh! Ain't that the truth!
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.