Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    No hero here either....sitting in a darkened compartment on a ship watching radar is about the least heroic thing I can think of.

And to piss off any military hating DUmmys that might be lurking, I think this is an appropriate place to post this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a0ORdQU
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

This is one of my favorites. Not really related to this thread, but it is in a way. And they were angels.

Barry Sadler, Nurses of Vietnam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgk-4xoNwNE
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Thanks, but I'm only a hero if you consider being able to produce PowerPoint slides faster than any other field grade in my last command to be heroic.
    Well, it goes toward the main goal. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    No hero here either....sitting in a darkened compartment on a ship watching radar is about the least heroic thing I can think of.

And to piss off any military hating DUmmys that might be lurking, I think this is an appropriate place to post this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a0ORdQU
    What I've learned from my son is that "I'm not a hero" thing comes from the fact that he and his brothers are one, individually isn't what it's about. It's about the man on the left and the man on the right, and without eachother, they're in deep trouble.

Here's another DUmmie pisser-offer:

God Bless Our Military.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    So it's Memorial Day yet again and once more normal Americans are bombarded with justifications as to why those of us that wear the uniform of the U.S. Military are not heroes.

Those of us that follow the antics of the DUmmies get bombarded with the could stench of the anti-military types more than others.

But you know what...you're right DUmmies...we're not heroes.

I know this is going to lead some of the lurking DUmmies to scratch their heads and wonder if I'm leading them into a trap.

I'm not I promise. We're in agreement on this point.

See myself...and I believe I speak for every veteran on this board...didn't sign up expecting a red cape and a big red S on our chests.

We didn't wake up one day and decide that the path to hero status was enlisting in the military. It was something more than that. Something you morons will never understand in your self centered "me me me" world you live in.

The ones that going looking for some kind of hero status are either quickly disillusioned with true military life and get out after a couple years...or get killed trying to be that hero they signed up to be.

Ask any recipient of the Medal of Honor...to a man they will tell you what they did wasn't heroic and that they aren't heroes...they were just doing their job...or ding what needed to be done to save their buddies.

Me personally...I look at it as repayment for being able to live in the greatest country in the world.

Now you may be asking yourselves "then why get so upset when we post our threads"...well...that's an easy one.

While none of us look at ourselves as heroes and that we felt a calling to serve and protect this great nation...the one thing that pisses us off to no end is having people that live within the freedom provided by the 1.5 million men and women in uniform tell us hat they think we're a bunch of baby killing war mongering murderers. It reminds me of some spoiled brat child...unappreciative of what they have.

You DUmmies are unappreciative of what you have in this country...because you've never had your rights as an American citizen truly threatened or taken away...no water what you claim.

No we're not heroes...but neither are we deserving of your unappreciative...ignorant ...completely cluless mockery either.

Have a good Memorial Day.

You're welcome.
    Thanks TEX,

I believe you articulated the majority opinion very well. I know you did mine. I'm retired now and proud of my service. I don't feel like a hero and have no delusions of grandeur. I simply did what I loved to do for 26 years. Unlike the pathetic 30 somethings that still wear their High School letter jackets, I put the uniform away and am moving on to the next adventure.

I appreciate all those that make kind remarks and the genuine appreciation that they are attempting to share. I simply reply that "I'm no hero, but thank you, you're welcome, or that was very kind of you."

Liberal turds that don't understand these feelings get a less kind response. Liberals rarely if ever (except in their fevered brains), make anti-military statements in person. They usually run to mommy's basement and put on their liberal tough guy uniforms (tighty-whities), and post of their imagined heroics to their favorite echo chambers.

I spent a quiet Memorial Day remembering my comrades that did not come home from aircraft accidents and shoot downs. They deserve at least a few moments of my time on one day a year.

For all of them; Thanks guys, you mattered.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Thanks to all here who are currently serving or who have served in the past.

Ody, I love your term "belligerent pacifist". It seems like one really shouldn't call himself a pacifist if he is also belligerent.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Well, it goes toward the main goal. :)
    Only if our main goal is the reduction of whole staffs to drooling incoherence after prolonged exposure to PowerPoint briefings.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Thanks to all here who are currently serving or who have served in the past.

Ody, I love your term "belligerent pacifist". It seems like one really shouldn't call himself a pacifist if he is also belligerent.
    Thanks. I see a lot of them around. They're the ones who think nothing of provoking us, but demand sensitivity to terrorists. Basically, they are bullies, but a specific kind. The provoke fights with people that they know will not do anything to them, because underneath their preening and bluster, they recognize that we defend their right to be arrogant, snotty punks. So, they bait us, and if they get a response, then we're the bad guys, and if they don't, they've still stood up to "the man".
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Military people can say they aren't heroes. Everyone else who doesn't think so can STFU as far as I'm concerned.