1. #1 Inmates released from Las Vegas jail after workers call in sick 
    Las Vegas – Seventy inmates were released from a Las Vegas jail Friday – not because their sentences were up – but because dozens of workers called in sick, Fox 5 reports.

The release of the non-violent offenders comes just a day after city officials confirmed they were downsizing the jail due to the budget crisis in North Las Vegas, putting the correctional officers’ jobs in jeopardy.

Nearly 50 shifts were not covered over a three-day period, forcing the city to pay workers overtime to cover the shifts.

“We can't afford that from a monetary standpoint, and from a people standpoint we just couldn't cover it,” Tim Bedwell, a North Las Vegas police spokesman told The Las Vegas Review-Journal. “The only reasonable solution we have is to close a wing.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/26...#ixzz1wGcjuMHP

Nice. The city is in trouble so the union brother & sisters decided to all call in sick to "prove a point." I sure hope no one is harmed by any of these "non-violent" criminals.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/26...#ixzz1wGcjuMHP

Nice. The city is in trouble so the union brother & sisters decided to all call in sick to "prove a point." I sure hope no one is harmed by any of these "non-violent" criminals.
    People use the leverage they have. Las Vegas needs to maintain a certain level of safety or the illusion of safety for tourism to thrive. Given that essential workers are generally maintained at a level slightly below actual need, then the idea of reducing their numbers or hours simply doesn't make sense while at the same time it places these people at risk. EMT's and firefighters signed on to save people, not to be beaten to death by the drunk or crackhead who started the fire. Police require back-ups. Jailers need to maintain sufficient numbers to safely process and contain useless dirtbags pulled off the streets by cops.

So stuff your anti-labor crap. If you are envious of these people and their jobs, then go learn how to be a prison guard or a cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    People use the leverage they have. Las Vegas needs to maintain a certain level of safety or the illusion of safety for tourism to thrive. Given that essential workers are generally maintained at a level slightly below actual need, then the idea of reducing their numbers or hours simply doesn't make sense while at the same time it places these people at risk. EMT's and firefighters signed on to save people, not to be beaten to death by the drunk or crackhead who started the fire. Police require back-ups. Jailers need to maintain sufficient numbers to safely process and contain useless dirtbags pulled off the streets by cops.

So stuff your anti-labor crap. If you are envious of these people and their jobs, then go learn how to be a prison guard or a cop.
    I already am so does that mean that I'm allowed to comment? Yeah? OK, here it goes. This is a union putting themselves ahead of public safety. When you sign on to be what I am, you do so with the understanding that you cannot take any work action that would be deemed as a strike. It's a condition of the job. Sick outs are such job actions and when you do a sick out, you also force those who are already on duty to work a double against their will essentially taking them away from their own families. It also compromises the safety and security of the institution. An officer on the 2nd half of a 16 our shift is not on top of his game. This is how people get hurt. Also, acts like this have a way of coming back to bite you in the butt. It allows the powers that be to see that they can still function without you. So, all of that said, you can take your pro labor crap and stuff it yourself.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    ......... you can take your pro labor crap and stuff it yourself.
    Yeah , well, you live in New Jersey. That's what God thinks of you.

Would you feel that way if the military unionized and decided to call in sick? This is one of many reasons that Unions are dying and the majority of Americans can't stand them.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Is that the best you got? I mean, wow. You could have just given me a "nyah nyah". Would have been just as intelligent as an answer. But I didn't expect anything more from you considering the source.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

I know someone who can never be fired because of something like that happening. She was the only person to show up for a shift at the juvie program for developmentally delayed sex offenders.

You can all guess what happened next.

It's not envy, it's a sense of duty. Walking off the job and endangering the public in order to extort more pay and benefits isn't an option for responsible adults. If this is how they react to a labor dispute, how will they react to a jailhouse riot? Will they put their immediate gratification ahead of their responsibilities again? These people need to be fired immediately, and replaced.

That's your reply? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I know someone who can never be fired because of something like that happening. She was the only person to show up for a shift at the juvie program for developmentally delayed sex offenders.

You can all guess what happened next.
    I'm afraid to ask.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

You are so out of the loop and a waste of my time.

Several fire fighters found themselves in trouble for abuse of the sick call policy and were racking up tons of overtime. School teachers were getting laid off and fire fighters were making over 250k a year...(In Las Vegas)

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I already am so does that mean that I'm allowed to comment? Yeah? OK, here it goes. This is a union putting themselves ahead of public safety. When you sign on to be what I am, you do so with the understanding that you cannot take any work action that would be deemed as a strike. It's a condition of the job. Sick outs are such job actions and when you do a sick out, you also force those who are already on duty to work a double against their will essentially taking them away from their own families. It also compromises the safety and security of the institution. An officer on the 2nd half of a 16 our shift is not on top of his game. This is how people get hurt. Also, acts like this have a way of coming back to bite you in the butt. It allows the powers that be to see that they can still function without you. So, all of that said, you can take your pro labor crap and stuff it yourself.
    Well said.

I've never known work stopages of this nature to be legal in any industry.