Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I have self proclaimed experts on other forums that try to tell me the Euro is stable and will do better in the near future and distant future than the dollar, I have strongly disagreed with them.
    There are a lot of people "investing" in Iraqi dinars, too.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

At this point, the best long term investment strategy in the US is canned goods and ammunition.
    Do you seriously believe that or are you being funny?

I ask because I take your posts seriously. If you are really stocking up on non perishables..then I should be doing the same.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    We really could use a source and a date for the graph, a link would be nice.
    sorry, it was late, here's the link for the graph

http://www.decisionsonevidence.com/2...tional-wisdom/
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Especially in Japan.
    or Minnesota with PCP in your veins
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post

I ask because I take your posts seriously. If you are really stocking up on non perishables..then I should be doing the same.
    I'm being somewhat funny, but preparation is always a good idea. You should have a few weeks worth of non-perishable food available, not to mention a good pistol for home defense. If things go south in Europe, then things will get chaotic globally, and the things to watch out for are interruptions in oil supplies. Stock up on batteries and have the means to store water if the utilities fail.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

I buy French's mustard!
    OMG! What about French Fries? I love those things.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post

I have a few weeks of emergency food stored. Most is non-perishable but the rest can be stored long term. I rotate stock also. Having this is comforting to me but my wife seems to be amused by it. She will change her mind if we have to use it. Ammunition is for home protection.

If the trucks stopped rolling for one day, it would be inconvenient locally. If they stopped rolling for three days, it would be catastrophic. Natural disasters can trigger this like floods and earthquakes. Look at what a simple snowstorm can do.

Man made disasters like the Obama administration trying their best to destroy the economy is another issue. Look at energy. Oil cost is directly related to every other cost. If the truckers cannot afford to fuel their rigs, they park them.

Money supply. If it fails, who is going to deliver/stock/sell food? Who will work at the power and utility plants?

Not to scare you, just be prepared.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand