Results 1 to 10 of 17

Hybrid View

  1. #1 Bizarr-O World: Obama awards Medal of Freedom to top Socialist 
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,468
    You ever get that feeling? You know what I'm talking about even though it's hard to describe. It's that feeling when you try to figure out a blatant contradiction in terms where two things that don't go together are forced together. Your brain goes all wonky and it feels like something is physically clouding your thoughts even though that's impossible. Kind of like pushing two magnets together when the same poles are facing each other and it feels like something exists in the space between them but nothing does. Well, this might cause that to happen to you like it did to me:

    http://blog.heritage.org/2012/05/29/...america-chair/

    President Obama awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom on Tuesday to Dolores Huerta, an 82-year-old labor activist and co-founder of the United Farm Workers union.

    Huerta is also an honorary chair of the Democratic Socialists of America.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    8,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubie View Post
    You ever get that feeling? You know what I'm talking about even though it's hard to describe. It's that feeling when you try to figure out a blatant contradiction in terms where two things that don't go together are forced together. Your brain goes all wonky and it feels like something is physically clouding your thoughts even though that's impossible. Kind of like pushing two magnets together when the same poles are facing each other and it feels like something exists in the space between them but nothing does. Well, this might cause that to happen to you like it did to me:

    http://blog.heritage.org/2012/05/29/...america-chair/
    Well, I can cross that award off of my list of desired honors along with the Nobel Peace Prize. Giving awards to scum just pollutes the award forever.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    I got my panties in a knot about the award, but then I read the criteria and the list of those who have received it in the past. It's the moral equivalent of something the Queen tosses out annually to actors and fundraisers and the like.

    Don't get too upset about it. It's not really all that important of a ribbon.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,150
    Funny how he gave one to a man who refused to go to internment camps during WWII. While I applaud the guy and support him but can someone please remind me who interred these people? I'm having trouble remembering who was president at the time. Oh, that's right, the left wing liberal god figure FDR. Another joke was Bob Dylan. Really? Toni Morrison, the person who said that Clinton was impeached because he was black? The list of idiots being given this award ranged from the ridiculous to the sublime. All, of course, are liberals. Aside from the guy who refused to be bullied by Roosevelt, the only ones I have respect for is Pat Summitt and John Glenn. The others were nothing less than Obama cronies. I can't wait to see who gets pardoned.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I got my panties in a knot about the award, but then I read the criteria and the list of those who have received it in the past. It's the moral equivalent of something the Queen tosses out annually to actors and fundraisers and the like.

    Don't get too upset about it. It's not really all that important of a ribbon.
    It may not be important to you, but it ought to be. We use awards to recognize achievements, not simply to reward the person being honored, but to demonstrate to others that their example is worthy of being repeated. We also award prizes to highlight accomplishments that serve us as a nation or a people and, sometimes, to protect heroic figures who might otherwise disappear into the totalitarian maw of the nations that they seek to reform (think Lech Walesa, Andrei Sakharov and the rest of the dissident Nobel Laureates who were too publicly known after their awards to be simply dispatched). These awards mean something, and when our politicians give them out like candy, it diminishes their value, and the values that the award should represent.

    Giving awards like this to people whose service to the United States is, at best, questionable, denigrates the award and insults those whose service genuinely warrants recognition.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,695
    Dylan's an American icon. He deserves recognition for his work. He might be a liberal, but I would hardly call him an Obama crony. Did you really think Obama was going to honor the Nuge? Just wait, if he gets to do this next year, it'll probably be Springsteen and Jay-Z.

    I've read a couple of Toni Morrison's books: Tar Baby, which I read in college and is an interesting book in many ways. That was before she wrote Beloved, which I read also. I didn't watch the movie because I didn't like the book. Morrison later wrote an opera called Margaret Garner or something, and it was basically the same story as Beloved. She received a Nobel Prize for Literature. But Morrison and Alice Walker kind of created a genre of serious black female lit, although I prefer Alice Walker's books because they have happier endings.

    I know she's somewhat controversial for her political remarks, but Morrision's books are taught in college lit classes to this day. I don't have a problem with awarding her honors. She's more of an Oprah crony than an Obama crony, but she was an established American literary figure in the 80s, before she ever met Oprah, Bill Clinton or Barak Obama.

    Of course John Glenn deserves honors, even if he was one of the Keating 5.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Well, I can cross that award off of my list of desired honors along with the Nobel Peace Prize. Giving awards to scum just pollutes the award forever.
    No doubt.

    In 2007, Bush gave it to Harper Lee who wrote that awful book about the liberal lawyer trying to get a rapist off.

    Bush also gave one to Charlton Heston and, get this, Reagan gave one to Frank Sinatra. Guess it's for socialists and hollyweird types.

    Milton Friedman '88
    William F. Buckley '91
    Friedrich Hayek '91
    Elie Wiesel '92
    I.M. Pei '93
    Norman Rockwell '77
    John Wayne '80
    John Steinbeck '64
    Aretha Franklin '05
    B.B. King '06
    Ansel Adams '80

    That's right, one bad apple, one recipient we don't agree with, cancels out all the rest. President Romney (fingers crossed) better just cancel this "Freedom" medal.

    Damn you, Obama!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member Chuck58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Posts
    990
    I never thought Bob Dylan was much of an example of anything but drug and booze abuse.

    After retirement, I worked security at a major Santa Fe hotel. Dylan and his band stayed there (1991). At about 3 in the morning, guests were complaining about the ruckus they were making. Two other guards and I ended up having to evict them from the property. They were drunk, high and generally obnoxious. We finally got rid of them.

    After, we went into the rooms (they were trashed) and, honestly, if we'd been on the ball we could almost have retired from selling the variety of dope we found in those rooms.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    8,563
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingBig View Post
    No doubt.

    In 2007, Bush gave it to Harper Lee who wrote that awful book about the liberal lawyer trying to get a rapist off.

    Bush also gave one to Charlton Heston and, get this, Reagan gave one to Frank Sinatra. Guess it's for socialists and hollyweird types.

    Milton Friedman '88
    William F. Buckley '91
    Friedrich Hayek '91
    Elie Wiesel '92
    I.M. Pei '93
    Norman Rockwell '77
    John Wayne '80
    John Steinbeck '64
    Aretha Franklin '05
    B.B. King '06
    Ansel Adams '80

    That's right, one bad apple, one recipient we don't agree with, cancels out all the rest. President Romney (fingers crossed) better just cancel this "Freedom" medal.

    Damn you, Obama!
    Which ones on your list are anti-American POS like Huerta? Things that make you go, Hmmm.

    Try again numb nuts.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •