Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    The purpose may have been to expose the Left and political Kabuki Theater, but it is theater directed at the CURRENT administration and therefore valid.
    Oh! So that makes Congress wasting time okay. I didn't realize those were the parameters.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Oh! So that makes Congress wasting time okay. I didn't realize those were the parameters.
    Better that they waste time than money.

Besides, it wasn't a waste of time. It served a purpose, which was to highlight the current policy and force the Democrats to take a stand, one way or another. They took the wrong one, of course, but what would you expect?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Apparently, there is much you don't know. Congress can do many things simultaneously. You do realize that is why they organize into committees and there are 435 of them? If the "waste of time" actually has an impact, can it rightly be called a waste of time? Also, if time was wasted, what did they fail to get done during that same time? As for waste of time, I suggest that you look at the DIMoturd controlled, Harry Reed Senate that has failed to do their job for 3 years and counting. They have proven to be a monumental waste of time and their lack of production is the evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Better that they waste time than money.

Besides, it wasn't a waste of time. It served a purpose, which was to highlight the current policy and force the Democrats to take a stand, one way or another. They took the wrong one, of course, but what would you expect?
    She apparently cannot contain her reflex defense of liberal idiocy or anything Republican that attacks the liberal narrative. I suspect she is a closet liberal and just cannot bring herself to admit it.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Power CUer
    I'm guessing I spend more time in hearing rooms on the Hill than you do, so I'm aware that Congress has committees. I'm probably "liberal" on some issues and more on the "conservative" side on others; I'm not one-dimensional. I'm neither Republican nor Democrat (and I'm happy to be in a state where we don't register by party). Don't you decide on issues individually, or do you just accept a Party Line verbatim?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I was shocked when I read that Justin Amash voted nay on this so I went to his facebook page for answers. This is what he said:

When did Republicans start supporting hate-crime legislation? Hate-crime bills, like H R 3541, are apparently okay if they have to do with a baby's gender but not okay if they have to do with a person's skin color or sexual orientation. Or maybe they're okay if it's an election year and Republicans are trying to make the President look like he doesn't care about women. I am appalled and outraged that we would take an issue as sacred as life and use it so cynically as a political weapon.

Republicans, and especially conservatives, should oppose abortion. Period. H R 3541 criminalizes the MOTIVE for getting an abortion. In other words, it keeps all abortions legal except those obtained for the "wrong" reasons. But ALL abortions are wrong. And criminalizing motive makes this simply another hate crime. Literally the only difference between a legal and an illegal abortion under the bill is whether the "abortion is sought based on the sex or gender of the child."

The bill also shockingly makes it a crime for a medical or mental health professional NOT to turn in someone who they SUSPECT of having committed this thought crime. They can be thrown into prison for a year if they don't "report known or suspected violations . . . to appropriate law enforcement authorities." Free societies do not criminalize inaction.

I'm pro-life, and I think all abortion should be illegal. But Congress should not criminalize thought. And this bill won't stop a single abortion if it becomes law. Every person seeking an abortion simply will sign a form stating her motive is not the sex of the baby. Those of us who are pro-life should demand more from Congress. While we waste time on stuff like this, genuine legislation to protect life is ignored.
    I have to agree. Not one abortion would be stopped if this had passed. "Thought Crime" legislation isn't something conservatives should support. He made the right decision.

I wish abortion wasn't legal but it is. That's where we are.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    I was shocked when I read that Justin Amash voted nay on this so I went to his facebook page for answers. This is what he said:

I have to agree. Not one abortion would be stopped if this had passed. "Thought Crime" legislation isn't something conservatives should support. He made the right decision.

I wish abortion wasn't legal but it is. That's where we are.

I also have to agree, I'm sure my opinion won't be very popular.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I also have to agree, I'm sure my opinion won't be very popular.
    We'll jump thru the burning hoop together.

We'll jump thru the burning hoop together.
    I said this to my wife yesterday before I heard any of these comments and my wife about bit my head off.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I said this to my wife yesterday before I heard any of these comments and my wife about bit my head off.
    I watch Fox, I usually agree with what the opinion shows say but not always. I watch O'Reilly most frequently, Greta sometimes and Hannity rarely (he bugs me for some reason, not sure why). I got caught up in the idea that somehow we could stop abortion, if only in this one way. It was a glimmer of hope I thought. But I realize that Justin Amash, who I respect a lot and proudly voted for, was absolutely right in his refusal to go along. Got me down off the ceiling, as it were.

I watch Fox, I usually agree with what the opinion shows say but not always. I watch O'Reilly most frequently, Greta sometimes and Hannity rarely (he bugs me for some reason, not sure why). I got caught up in the idea that somehow we could stop abortion, if only in this one way. It was a glimmer of hope I thought. But I realize that Justin Amash, who I respect a lot and proudly voted for, was absolutely right in his refusal to go along. Got me down off the ceiling, as it were.
    It just hit me wrong, like a deal with the devil. Somehow we needed to offer sacrifices fairly from both sexes, what the hell!