1. #1 Genetics may predict a person's success of quitting smoking 
    Published May 31, 2012

FoxNews.com
    Kicking the smoking habit may all be a matter of genetics.

New research from the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis has revealed that a person’s gene variations may predict whether or not they will have difficulty quitting smoking. Published in the American Journals of Psychiatry, the study also found that those same variations are also foretelling of the person’s ability to respond to nicotine-replacement drugs.

After collecting data from over 6,000 smokers who participated in scientific studies, researchers compared each participant’s ability to stop smoking with genetic variations that have been found to be linked with an increased risk of smoking and nicotine dependence.

“People with the high-risk genetic markers smoked an average of two years longer than those without these high-risk genes, and they were less likely to quit smoking without medication,” Dr. Li-Shiun Chen, assistant professor of psychiatry at Washington University and the study’s lead author, said in a university press release. “The same gene variants can predict a person’s response to smoking-cessation medication, and those with the high-risk genes are more likely to respond to the medication.”

Also, those with high-risk genetic variations were three times more likely to have success with smoking-cessation drugs, such as nicotine gum or patches.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/0...#ixzz1wVO9ZjEz
    Bull hockey, if you want to quit smoking stop buying cigarettes, stop putting them in your mouth, stop lighting them. If you follow these three easy steps you will quit smoking. It worked for me, I used to smoke 3 packs of unfiltered Camel cigarettes a day.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Published May 31, 2012
    Bull hockey, if you want to quit smoking stop buying cigarettes, stop putting them in your mouth, stop lighting them. If you follow these three easy steps you will quit smoking. It worked for me, I used to smoke 3 packs of unfiltered Camel cigarettes a day.
    I agree.

I don't buy into a lot of the genetic predisposition to this , that and farts that smell like skittles.

Now I don't know if a persons character/personality is heavily genetically influenced or not but I believe a persons choice as to do certain things such as drink or smoke or do drugs is more a character/personality issue than a genetic one. Same for addictions or ability to kick an addiction, It's about will power.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

I quit 1 1/2 years ago. It's not easy! But it can be done, you just have to be committed to it. And keep trying.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    After my stroke I stopped smoking my little Swisher Sweets cigars. Just stopped. I was
    never "hooked" on them, I just liked one now and again.

Not the same as Cigs I guess.
    May the FORCE be with you!

I smoked off and on (mostly on) for 50 years, did also enjoy the swishers as well as some good black minis that I can't remember the name of.
    While I was out in the oil patch every day (10 yrs worth) I was smoking almost continually - but when I was on days off - 2 days out of every 6 or 3 of 12, and at home, I did not smoke at all.
    In my last life as an office drone I got it down to 5 a day Mon thru Thurs between 6 am and 5 pm and none on Fri thru Sun.
    I retired in April of '08 and then had a real problem - when to smoke - and where. My consumption fell considerably and I went several days without. Then on Nov 7 I got my pacemaker and orders to never smoke again. But 5 days later I had the last one and tossed the half empty pqck along with the lighter in the trash.
    I could take it up again tomorrow but won't.

Addiction? Never happened. Habit? A very strong and bad one. I had two acquaintances in my life who were addicted. Both woke up 2-3 times a night for a cigarette or two. That's addiction.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.