Thread: The Bear Market

1. #1 The Bear Market 
    The current market is the worst we've seen in a few years.
    And it's bad. Today, the gains for 2012 are wiped out. There were no gains for 2011 since the S&P ended up right where it began at 1257.

So here we sit, measuring gains by small fractions and discussing what time of day on Jan 1, 1011 our charts start.

Gold bugs have done slightly better, but only if you count today's move upward.

I have a lot of experience, and I have been able to make it work for me by being short the S&P by buying SH, and by being triple short the financials by buying FAZ. Those two things are working for me as the market falls, and I intend to ride them as the market approaches its support point of 1200 or so. Maybe even 1150.
    And I have a fondness for issues that pay monthly dividends. Some of them are holding their own - others not so well.

Do you have a strategy?
    How are you handling the market?

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post

Do you have a strategy?
    How are you handling the market?
    I have made significant gains(almost doubled my investment) in the last 3 years. I'm not selling anything until the election. If Barack gets another 4 years, I'm cashing out. My strategy is a wait and see, till November.

I'm not selling.... yet -but will consider any new developments as they happen. I have the next 11 years living expenses in cash and twice that much more in a widely diversified portfolio of stocks and funds. At 70 with a heart condition, that oughta cover it.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    When I judge someone's integrity one key thing I look at is - How does s/he treat people s/he doesn't agree with or does not like?
    I can respect someone who I do not agree with, but I have NO respect for someone who puts others down in a public forum. That is the hallmark of someone who has no integrity, and cannot be trusted.

I have just enough in to pay a penalty and get out with a few thousand to cash out. I tried to get it out before I left the country and the idiots denied it because my wife hadn't signed it. It had a provision IN THE DOCUMENT if the spouse was not available for signature. I followed those directions to the letter and the IDIOT government case worker denied it.

I am reapplying as soon as my wife gets back in country. I don't trust the market at all now and I know that if the Marxist Clown gets re-elected, the market is toast.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Bear market
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Bears make money.
    Bulls make money.
    Pigs never do.

I don't know who first said that, but it's only partially true. Understanding the market is paramount to making money in it, and money can be made whether it goes up, down, or even sideways.

If you are a bear, you can pick from this list of ETF's:
    http://etf.stock-encyclopedia.com/ca...hort-etfs.html
    Or you can pick from various industries and strategies:
    http://etf.stock-encyclopedia.com/

There is always a way to capitalize on the direction the market is headed. The tough part is getting positioned properly before the fact. I usually am late. I certainly was in recognizing that the Winter 2012 Bull was over, but when I became convinced I took the proper positions.

So far so good, but the "experts" point out that on Monday (June 4) there will be an avalanche of sell orders since the S&P just crossed over its 200 day moving average and many, many sell orders look for that trigger. Personally, I can't see why this would not happen; our economy is doing very poorly.

We'll see.

Bare market?
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Bears make money.
    Bulls make money.
    Pigs never do.

I don't know who first said that, but it's only partially true. Understanding the market is paramount to making money in it, and money can be made whether it goes up, down, or even sideways.

If you are a bear, you can pick from this list of ETF's:
    http://etf.stock-encyclopedia.com/ca...hort-etfs.html
    Or you can pick from various industries and strategies:
    http://etf.stock-encyclopedia.com/

There is always a way to capitalize on the direction the market is headed. The tough part is getting positioned properly before the fact. I usually am late. I certainly was in recognizing that the Winter 2012 Bull was over, but when I became convinced I took the proper positions.

So far so good, but the "experts" point out that on Monday (June 4) there will be an avalanche of sell orders since the S&P just crossed over its 200 day moving average and many, many sell orders look for that trigger. Personally, I can't see why this would not happen; our economy is doing very poorly.

We'll see.
    The DOW is going to have another 5000 moment, and it's not that far away. I have moved to cash and gold. Good luck.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    The DOW is going to have another 5000 moment, and it's not that far away. I have moved to cash and gold. Good luck.
    Dunno about 5000, but we're headed south. I just checked the Asian markets and they're down nearly 2% after being open for an hour or two.

Heads up, Boys and Girls; this is not a buying opportunity.