Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by TVDOC View Post
    Interesting....however the data is about six or seven years old in the states that I checked.

doc
    Yes, the data is from 2006, I doubt the numbers increases exponentially in the last 6 years...so it's a pretty good indicator as to where the states are in enforcing it.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    You seriously think it shouldn't be left up to the states to decide whether to have the death penalty or not?

I live in a state that doesn't-not because it's a blue state, but because a lot of the conservative christians in the state join with the liberals on this issue. The archdiocese of Detroit has taken a very strong anti-death penalty stance, and so have some of the Reformed churches in West Michigan. The most conservative governor of the past few decades, John Engler, was strongly opposed to the death penalty because of his catholicism.

The only time criminals get executed for crimes committed in Michigan is when they do so on federal land. It happened in Grand Rapids-a man killed his girlfriend by tying her up and throwing her in a lake in the Manistee National Forest. He got sentenced to death in federal court. Otherwise, it's a mandatory life sentence withouth the possibility of parole for people convicted on first degree murder in Michigan courts. It means without possibility of parole, too. They never get out, except in a box or urn.
    I am catholic, and my opinion on Capital Punishment differs from the Church. If a man brutally kills another man, child, woman, groups, etc. He deserves the same fate for himself. A life prison sentence is not justice when it comes to murder. If you ever watch the show Lock-up, you can see for yourself how these deviants act in prison. They throw feces, urine at the guards who are trying to feed them. They are violent by nature. The only cure is a needle in the radial vein.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I am catholic, and my opinion on Capital Punishment differs from the Church. If a man brutally kills another man, child, woman, groups, etc. He deserves the same fate for himself. A life prison sentence is not justice when it comes to murder. If you ever watch the show Lock-up, you can see for yourself how these deviants act in prison. They throw feces, urine at the guards who are trying to feed them. They are violent by nature. The only cure is a needle in the radial vein.
    I go to one of the "Reformed Churches" in West Michigan and most people I know are for the death penalty. I live about 10 miles S of Grand Rapids. I think if we put it up for a vote again, it would pass.

I know what you mean about "lock up'. What a bunch of animals.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    I go to one of the "Reformed Churches" in West Michigan and most people I know are for the death penalty. I live about 10 miles S of Grand Rapids. I think if we put it up for a vote again, it would pass.

I know what you mean about "lock up'. What a bunch of animals.

Do you know why it continues to be banned in Michigan, despite the fact the probably the majority would vote for it? I learned this in high school government class, maybe even the same class and teacher your child had, as I think she's still teaching one class, despite being mostly retired.

Michigan's constitution forbids the death penalty. A ballot proposal, even if passed by 100% of the voters, would still not overturn that ban. Every so many years, and I don't remember from the class how many, there is a vote whether to have a state constitutional convention, and it has always been voted down in the years since I started voting. The only way to institute the death penalty in Michigan is to do so through a constitutional convention.

I am amazed at how many people don't realize this, though, and think that they can do a petition drive to get the issue on the ballot, and get the death penalty instituted that way,.