Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 You can't trust anyone anymore 
    Say it isn't so---some of Whole Foods frozen organic stuff is from China!!

SR picked up some frozen crayfish at WF a while back. I looked at the country of origin and when I saw China, it went back to the case. I won't feed my dogs stuff from China and sure in the heck won't eat it myself. There have been just too many problems for me to trust them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=JQ31Ljd9T_Y
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Yes, I noticed that last year. I do buy their shrimp as it comes from Key West...BUT NOT ALL OF IT. You really have to read packaging. Publix also sells their frozen fish from the Far East, Thailand, Indonesia..etc. I don't trust edible imports from those places.

I got into a long conversation with the fish monger at Publix about their frozen fish. He tried to tell me Publix monitors the fish farms overseas and if it doesn't meet their standards, they fix it, or buy from another supplier. I don't buy it. Literally and figuratively. There is a reason shrimp is so cheap nowadays.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Yes, I noticed that last year. I do buy their shrimp as it comes from Key West...BUT NOT ALL OF IT. You really have to read packaging. Publix also sells their frozen fish from the Far East, Thailand, Indonesia..etc. I don't trust edible imports from those places.

I got into a long conversation with the fish monger at Publix about their frozen fish. He tried to tell me Publix monitors the fish farms overseas and if it doesn't meet their standards, they fix it, or buy from another supplier. I don't buy it. Literally and figuratively. There is a reason shrimp is so cheap nowadays.
    Reading the packaging is fine. But not all products are required to list "Nation of Origin" on the label. I'm not sure of the loophole there. But the store I work in. Several brands don't carry it. Seems to be more the breaded items. As they tend to be caught/raised in one place, then shipped some where else to be breaded.

Far as monitoring. Probably the same as all other places. Minimal. If a problem arises, or it doesn't look good enough to sell well. Then they deal with it. Its not like they have people there at the factories or on the boats all the time inspecting it.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Reading the packaging is fine. But not all products are required to list "Nation of Origin" on the label. I'm not sure of the loophole there. But the store I work in. Several brands don't carry it. Seems to be more the breaded items. As they tend to be caught/raised in one place, then shipped some where else to be breaded.

Far as monitoring. Probably the same as all other places. Minimal. If a problem arises, or it doesn't look good enough to sell well. Then they deal with it. Its not like they have people there at the factories or on the boats all the time inspecting it.
    Nation of origin is also in the bar code, I'll see if I can find a list.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Nation of origin is also in the bar code, I'll see if I can find a list.
    I know what your talking about. But you can't trust that.

The first three digits of the barcode merely indicate in which country the barcode was assigned, not in which country the product was produced.

So, for example, a company that is based in Switzerland but has a manufacturing plant in China would have a Swiss barcode.

Or a US company, importing Talipia and packaging it in Cal. would have a US barcode.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GS1_country_codes

Country codes are not always accurate, for instance you could buy a gram of dried monkey brains with a country code of Mexico when actually the rare monkey brains may have come from Brazil and been packaged in Mexico.
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

I used Google goggles from my droid phone on an ibuprofen barcode and it brought up all the product information as well as country of origin.

Almost all honey comes from China, goes to Vietnam or some other place for repackaging and then is shipped to the U.S.
    Chinese honey is simply sugar. They remove the pollen (easy to do) to prevent experts from learning its origin. If the pollen is left in an expert can determine country and region. Buy local honey. Don't buy name brand honey.

I'm hoping this isn't happening in the UK. A lot of food comes from Africa and S. America as well as from the EU, but I don't recall seeing China on any of the labels so far.

Manufactured goods, though, that's a whole nuther thing. All my kitchen appliances (Bosch) and home/mobile computing toys (Apple) were made there. I got a teddy bear from toys r us for a 2 year old recently and every single one they had on offer had a made-in-china label stuck to it.

Where possible I'll avoid buying stuff made in China, but it's becoming more difficult to do that these days.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Almost all honey comes from China, goes to Vietnam or some other place for repackaging and then is shipped to the U.S.
    Chinese honey is simply sugar. They remove the pollen (easy to do) to prevent experts from learning its origin. If the pollen is left in an expert can determine country and region. Buy local honey. Don't buy name brand honey.
    I always buy local honey when I'm in GA. There is a huge difference in flavor from supermarket brand.