Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
I'm hoping this isn't happening in the UK. A lot of food comes from Africa and S. America as well as from the EU, but I don't recall seeing China on any of the labels so far.

Manufactured goods, though, that's a whole nuther thing. All my kitchen appliances (Bosch) and home/mobile computing toys (Apple) were made there. I got a teddy bear from toys r us for a 2 year old recently and every single one they had on offer had a made-in-china label stuck to it.

Where possible I'll avoid buying stuff made in China, but it's becoming more difficult to do that these days.
It's more common then a lot of people realize. In a new global market. Of cheap labor in China and expensive gov regulations and union cost. More and more companies are fleeing to China.

Remember a few years ago almost any thing had a "Made in Mexico" label. Well now even those companies are moving to China. Its even more cheaper labor. And the people are better skilled.

Its a new fluid world. And companies will continue to exploit it. In time, if inflation continues and rising fuel prices. They may decide its just cheaper to make it here then there.