Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingBig View Post
    They've become quite annoying and overzealous in recent years. Not all of them, of course, but some very loud members like to stoop down to the level of other extremist groups and put up billboards.

What I don't get is that to a true atheist, a religious symbol would have no meaning--it would be just a stone or piece of carved wood. A true atheist hiking on public land should not be bothered by a 50-year-old symbol of someone else's belief because to a non-believer it's just a piece of wood representing another culture or belief system.

Also, their legal attacks on religious symbols are obviously designed to be a dickish annoyance. If you know anything about architecture, most public buildings are covered with religious symbols. The buildings themselves are symbols of a Western culture belief system. Should we tear down every spire or gothic arch? Should we go through every publicly funded museum and remove religious paintings? The atheists who go on these crusades are just being dicks. If they really believed what they say, a Nativity Scene would just be quaint representation of some other culture, like a totem pole.

Notice they never go after totem poles or the star of David on a publicly funded Holocaust remembrance., just Christian symbols. Dicks.
    That was a well reasoned and thought out post. Well done.

Now tell us who you really are and what have you done with the real ThinkingBig?
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post

Now tell us who you really are and what have you done with the real ThinkingBig?
    I'm wondering the same. I actually patted him on his "karma" for it. Maybe they finally caught him and he's back on his meds.

Snarkiness can be fun/funny, but only when there is an ounce of truth to it. Liberals usually fail to understand this and use snark based on their echo chamber, basement lore lies.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post

He just woke up, I better get off his computer.

If atheists are having a hard time with the word 'God' in the pledge of allegiance, why don't they just think of God as the collective courage and inspiration that motivated and inspired the founding fathers. They believe in the concept of courage and concept of a person being inspired to act--why can't that be their concept of God?

I got an early look at Prometheus and I'm curious how creationists will view it. It's an interesting take on intelligent design--some may take offense at the direction, but I though it was good science fiction--science endeavoring to answer the big questions.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingBig View Post
    He just woke up, I better get off his computer.

If atheists are having a hard time with the word 'God' in the pledge of allegiance, why don't they just think of God as the collective courage and inspiration that motivated and inspired the founding fathers. They believe in the concept of courage and concept of a person being inspired to act--why can't that be their concept of God?

I got an early look at Prometheus and I'm curious how creationists will view it. It's an interesting take on intelligent design--some may take offense at the direction, but I though it was good science fiction--science endeavoring to answer the big questions.
    Whether Christian or scientist, if you go far enough in your questions as to origin, it comes down to a big leap of faith. Christians admit it, scientists with their "inquisitive minds" seem to avoid it.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Atheists: The other white meat.

?
    Tastes just like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyCommunistYouKnow View Post
    What are your thoughts on atheists? Most leftists are atheists, however those with religious faith are welcome. There are some more hardcore people that think religion should be destroyed however, that is only a small amount. So how are atheists treated here? Are they welcomed or shunned by the community?
    So, ONC, you've received some jokes and some thoughtful responses...are we going to hear any more from you? Or have we failed to come up with what you wanted?
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyCommunistYouKnow View Post
    What are your thoughts on atheists? So how are atheists treated here? Are they welcomed or shunned by the community?
    Short answer, you Commie, you?

We in CU are a very diverse group, and NO ... we do not shun atheists, non-theists (Nova ... ), or any other religious or non-religious posters in here.
    As for Communists??? ... ... I, personally, do not, wish to know you at all!

Get the hell out of our country and take all those of like ideology, with you!

~ ABC
    American By Choice ~ 1980