1. #1 Discouraged this morning, and I need some DU reassurance! 
    hamsterjill (3,296 posts)

Discouraged this morning, and I need some DU reassurance!

Please, please, please - keep telling me that Obama IS going to win in November.

The country cannot survive a Romney presidency. I can't bear the thought of the idiots and the hicks who surround me in my every day life who will be gloating if Romney wins. The ones who throw hate around like it's the new normal. The ones who cannot tolerate the thought of anyone or anything being evenly remotely different than the stereotypes of themselves. The ones who cannot understand simple math - like adding up what they make versus what the corporate CEO's make, and seeing a difference. They won't dare allow the idea that individuals actually might have worth!

I suffered through George Bush, first as governor, and then as President. I've suffered enough for their ignorance!

I promise to renew my own vigor, and to renew my actions to do whatever I can to get Obama re-elected. But I am surrounded by people who would love to see him lose. After last night's recall, I'm a little discouraged. There ARE positive things to look to - like the Wisconsin Senate. But the discouragement is still there for me.

Fellow DU'ers, I kindly ask that you keep me reminded of the fact that there are still people who, like you and me, genuinely want peace, calm, equality and prosperity for EVERYONE!
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002775308

God if you are that depressed.....may I suggest finding a very tall building...or a bridge....
    Lets just paint some happy clouds over at the sunshine and lollipop land

Jill doesn't like hicks who can't tolerate people different than themselves. Hmmm...something seems wrong with that thought process.

During the Clinton Presidency, both Michigan and Wisconsin had republican governors, yet voted for Clinton in the presidential elections. Despite a successful recall of Grey Davis in CA, Kerry won CA in 2004.

But go ahead, DUmmie, be depressed. It was a waste of time, effort and money to try to recall Walker. I tell my coworkers the same thing about Snyder, here, although that recall effort was abandoned as the unions figured they had a better chance in Wisconsin.

All those sacrifices that the state employees' unions are making in WI, we made in MI in the 90s when Engler was Governor. We don't have collective bargaining (although our union claimed we did in the 2010 election cycle, so they could claim that Snyder would take it away). We have a payroll deduction for our medical coverage. We now pay 4% into our pension fund, but I think we will win that case in court, because our pension plan is a legal contract. They are going to get increases in pay at the rate of inflation-we don't get that. If the state can't afford to give us any pay increases, we don't get them.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    During the Clinton Presidency, both Michigan and Wisconsin had republican governors, yet voted for Clinton in the presidential elections. Despite a successful recall of Grey Davis in CA, Kerry won CA in 2004.

But go ahead, DUmmie, be depressed. It was a waste of time, effort and money to try to recall Walker. I tell my coworkers the same thing about Snyder, here, although that recall effort was abandoned as the unions figured they had a better chance in Wisconsin.

All those sacrifices that the state employees' unions are making in WI, we made in MI in the 90s when Engler was Governor. We don't have collective bargaining (although our union claimed we did in the 2010 election cycle, so they could claim that Snyder would take it away). We have a payroll deduction for our medical coverage. We now pay 4% into our pension fund, but I think we will win that case in court, because our pension plan is a legal contract. They are going to get increases in pay at the rate of inflation-we don't get that. If the state can't afford to give us any pay increases, we don't get them.
    It's nice when lying doesn't work!
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    It's nice when lying doesn't work!

It works on most members. Most of my coworkers have short memories and believe everything the UAW tells them. I like my local stewards and some of the people in the local's headquarters in Lansing, but the national UAW lies like a rug.

Even though I'm a liberal, I grew up in your neck of the woods and I have always been very mistrustful of my union.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

You pay FOUR PERCENT!! When I was a cop here in NM, we payed 21.5% of our salary into our retirement and we paid half our health insurance premiums. Now the retirement contribution is 23.5%. I don't know about health insurance.

I remember one stretch where we went 3 yrs without a raise because the city didn't have the money. It's part of working for a company or government agency. If the employer doesn't have the money, they can hardly give out raises.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.