Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 "Who In Their Right Mind Goes To New Jersey As A Tourist ?" 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Environmentalists balk at drilling off NJ coast

AVON, N.J. (AP) — With oil and gas drilling heating up as an issue in the presidential race, environmentalists and the governor reiterated their opposition to tapping reserves off the state's coast, saying it would endanger the environment and the tourism industry on which New Jersey is so dependent.

"It is a dark, dark day for the natural coast. Some might say it's as black as oil," said Cindy Zipf, executive director of Clean Ocean Action, who joined environmental and fishing groups at a news conference Wednesday on the Avon boardwalk. Gov. Jon Corzine reiterated his opposition Tuesday in a letter to U.S. Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne.

The House late Tuesday passed legislation that would open waters 50 miles off the Pacific and Atlantic coasts to oil and natural gas development — if the adjacent states agree to go along. The legislation now goes to the Senate.

New Jersey — joined by California and North Carolina — has so far refused to go along, meaning exploration could take place no closer than 100 miles offshore under the current proposal.

Tim Gallagher, Avon's borough administrator, said tourism is the lifeblood of his community.

"This year we had 600,000 visitors," he said. "We're very proud of our beach. It's clean, the water is clear. People come here for that reason."

Speaker after speaker said it was foolish to drill for oil off the East Coast when the United States exports more than a half-billion barrels of oil each year. This year, the country is on pace to send 681 million barrels abroad, Zipf said.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...nu9oAD9390OEO0

Power CUer
    "Who In Their Right Mind Goes To New Jersey As A Tourist ?"

When I was a child in the 1960s, my parents would rent a house at the beach in Stone Harbor for two months every summer. It was wonderful.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

They have some wonderful wineries.;)
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

Banned
    A week from saturday I will be leaving on a two week trip. Going from here in Texas to Washington DC. Then up to Philly, New Jersey and New York.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    "Who In Their Right Mind Goes To New Jersey As A Tourist ?"

When I was a child in the 1960s, my parents would rent a house at the beach in Stone Harbor for two months every summer. It was wonderful.
    The beaches in the northeast can not hold a candle to the snow white sandy and crystal clear water beaches streching from the FL panhandle to the Keys.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 09-18-2008 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    "When I was a child in the 1960s, my parents would rent a house at the beach in Stone Harbor for two months every summer. It was wonderful.
    Stone Harbor's still nice. Avalon is very nice. Ocean City I don't get to because it's dry and family-oriented. And of course, AC for the action.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    The beaches in the northeast can not hold a candle to the snow white sandy and crystal clear water beaches streching from the FL panhandle to the Keys.
    If you can get me there in an hour and a half by car I'll be glad to go.
    Be Not Afraid.

True...with the exception that the Keys don't really have beaches.

I'm gonna say People with the middle name of "THE" :D:D

Power CUer
    Too hot. We go to North Carolina these days, but I don't get to go to the beach for two months at a time any more. :(
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken