1. #1 The American dream is a myth: Joseph Stiglitz on "The Price of Inequality". 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Ahhh...DU is getting back to its normal Amerika hating self!!!

Fri Jun 8, 2012, 09:47 AM
    Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin

The American dream is a myth: Joseph Stiglitz on "The Price of Inequality".

In his latest book, The Price of Inequality, Columbia Professor and Nobel laureate Joseph Stiglitz examines the causes of income inequality and offers some remedies. In between, he reaches some startling conclusions, including that America is "no longer the land of opportunity" and "the 'American dream' is a myth."

While we all know stories of people who've moved up the social stratosphere, Stiglitz says the statistics tell a very different story. In the last 30 years the share of national income held by the top 1% of Americans has doubled; for to the top 0.1%, their share has tripled, he reports. Meanwhile, median incomes for American workers have stagnated.

Even more than income inequality, "America has the least equality of opportunity of any of the advanced industrial economies," Stiglitz says. In short, the status you're born into whether rich or poor is more likely to be the status of your adult life in America vs. any other advanced economy, including 'Old Europe'.

For example, just 8% of students at America's elite universities come from households in the bottom 50% of income, Stiglitz says, even as those universities are "needs blind" meaning admission isn't predicated on your ability to pay.

"There's not much mobility up and down," he says. "The chances of someone from the top who doesn't do very well in school are better than someone from the bottom who does well in school."

Because the children of those at the top of society tend to do better than those at the bottom thanks, in part, to better education, health care and nutrition the income inequality that's slowly emerged over the past 30 years will only widen in the next 10 to 20 years.

If the root causes of income inequality go unaddressed, America will truly become a two-class society and look much more like a third world economy, Stiglitz warns. "People will live in gated communities with armed guards. It's a ugly picture. There will be political, social and economic turmoil." (Hence the book's subtitle: 'How Today's Divided Society Endangers Our Future'

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...124338674.html
    Fuck off you collection of whiny pissants.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Stiglitz says the statistics tell a very different story. In the last 30 years the share of national income held by the top 1% of Americans has doubled; for to the top 0.1%, their share has tripled, he reports.
    I'd say that's good. Do you guys want everyone to be as poor and stupid as you DUmmies? I bet you do.
    Isn't that part of the American dream. To get rich.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

It's probably best to understand the American Dream before you write about it. It has nothing to do with equality or outcome. It means the freedom to pursue whatever it is you choose without the government standing in your way and telling you that you can't.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsean View Post
    It's probably best to understand the American Dream before you write about it. It has nothing to do with equality or outcome. It means the freedom to pursue whatever it is you choose without the government standing in your way and telling you that you can't.

The American Dream is not necessarily about wealth, either. Of course, everyone wishes he or she were rich, but most of us are not and are happy with what we have.

The thing about the DUmmies is this-most of them are poor by choice. They are not from poor families, they are from middle class backrounds, but they are slackers who are only poor because they don't want to work. They weren't born to poor people, they didn't grow up in poor communities, they didn't go to underfunded and poorly managed school districts and they now think they can speak for all those who did come from that type of backround.

Those idiots piss me off when it comes to poverty. They don't have a clue. I told one of them once "I could tell you stories from my job that would make your toes curl up and give you nightmares for weeks". I don't think that this is a liberal vs conservative issue, though, mainly because I've seen both liberal and conservative programs that have had success. Focus Hope is a job training program that was founded by a liberal
    Catholic priest after the 67 riots. Grace Centers of Hope in Pontiac is a program started by evangelicals to address drug treatment, poverty and housing in that area. Both are excellent programs that help thousands of people every year. The trick is focusing on the needs of the people who are suffering to find solutions, and not to inject politics into every effort to help people out of poverty. There is a role for the government in it, but the government can't be the sole solution.

No doubt that many DUmmies are liberal first and foremost by necessity. They need the benevolence of government to survive. That is opposed to your everyday liberal who just believes it is the best way to do things. I have no animosity toward a liberal who just believes differently. They love their country and want it to succeed. DUmmies hate the US, think we are a force for evil rather than good, and would love nothing more than to see us collapse and be run by the UN.

No doubt that many DUmmies are liberal first and foremost by necessity. They need the benevolence of government to survive. That is opposed to your everyday liberal who just believes it is the best way to do things. I have no animosity toward a liberal who just believes differently. They love their country and want it to succeed. DUmmies hate the US, think we are a force for evil rather than good, and would love nothing more than to see us collapse and be run by the UN.
    I feel the same toward these rare liberals. I draw the line however when they are given the facts and still cling to their failed and diseased ideology.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Moonbats think equality is about money, and of course its not.

No. Its about everyone being equal before the law, about people being threated fairly for jobs, housing and serves.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.