Hybrid View

1. #1 Palin: E-mails explain 'Troopergate' firing 
    By GENE JOHNSON – 2 days ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Lawyers for Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin have released e-mails detailing what they say is the real reason she dismissed Walt Monegan, the public safety commissioner whose firing prompted the "Troopergate" controversy.

In a papers filed Monday, the lawyers wrote that Monegan was fired for opposing Palin's budget priorities. They cited e-mails in which top Palin staffers expressed concern with his approach.

They also cited an e-mail Monegan sent his colleagues encouraging them to communicate better with Palin.

Lawmakers are investigating whether Palin, the Republican nominee for vice president, fired Monegan because he refused to dismiss an Alaska state trooper going through a child-custody dispute with her sister.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...2YOxwD937F37G0
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

I’m trying to get my head around this story.

This guy, Monegan (Wasilla’s Public Safety Commissioner), got fired for not following Palin’s policy of not paying for rape kits, and his sacking wasn’t due to his refusing to fire Palin's ex-brother-in-law?
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

he was offered a different job and turned it down. he served at the gov's pleasure
    Let me ask a hypothetical question about your job and my job. What would happen if you or I went behind the back of the people we work for and actively resisted the direction they wanted to take the company? What would happen if we tried to allocate money for a project that our boss had already set aside for another? What would happen if we tried to bypass the normal channels and stir up trouble within the company? I think we all know the answer to these questions. That’s right, we would be in the unemployment line, looking for work. That’s exactly what happened to Walt Monegan, the former Alaska Public Safety Commissioner who was fired by Governor Sarah Palin.

Let’s lay a little timeline, shall we? The following is the short story of what Walt Monegan was trying to do while working for Governor Palin.

* 12/9/07: Monegan holds a press conference with Hollis French to push his own budget plan.
    * 1/29/08: Palin’s staffers have to rework their procedures to keep Monegan from bypassing normal channels for budget requests.
    * February 2008: Monegan publicly releases a letter he wrote to Palin supporting a project she vetoed.
    * June 26, 2008: Monegan bypassed the governor’s office entirely and contacted Alaska’s Congressional delegation to gain funding for a project.
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

Well, Todd's refusing to testify - so the Huntress is off the hook.;)

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    he was offered a different job and turned it down. he served at the gov's pleasure
    Silly LL - a cushy government job is every leftists RIGHT and no matter what the governors pleasure - unless you are a democrat - dismissing any government official is ALWAYS motivated by something nefarious. If Bush fires a couple of federal attorneys - it's politically motivated and wrong. If Clinton fires 10x as many - it's his RIGHT. No one would question Palin's firing of this guy if she were a democrat.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Sonnabend
    Another LP Palin smear

http://www.frontiersman.com/articles...05/23/news.txt

Palmer police chief Laren Zager said that to his knowledge, no sexual assault victim has ever been billed by the city of Palmer for an exam to collect evidence of a crime. Zager, who has been police chief since January, said he would never expect a victim to be burdened with the cost of a police investigation. "
    and this

http://iusbvision.wordpress.com/2008...ir-face-again/

US News & World Report
    But according to a 2004 bulletin published by the NCVC, “[F]eedback from the field indicates that sexual assault victims are still being billed.” Knecht says she’s recently heard from caseworkers in Illinois, Georgia, and Arkansas reporting that rape victims continue to be charged for their forensic exams.
    Why it’s Illinois, the state in which “The One” himself was a community organizing and serving as a legislator in the Illinois Senate.