1. #1 The Gospels according to a queer tranny "pastor" in S.F. 
    https://www.facebook.com/meganrohrer...51013010135056

By the by, I LOVE that we're on the Gospel of Mark cycle of the lectionary! My favorite. If you don't have a favorite yet I offer this quick crib sheet: mark is the quick dirty version where Jesus is possibly mentally I'll or a demon. Luke is feminist and sides with the least. Matthew is the story of Moses that shows Jesus is a historical Jew. John is trippy poetry that hopes secret words will help you resurrect.
    I'm still trying to decipher the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubie View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/meganrohrer...51013010135056

I'm still trying to decipher the lot.
    Don't bother. It is just a feeble attempt at gnostic gibberish. I doubt he/she understands any of that.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Is that a guy or a girl? Weird!
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Is that a guy or a girl?
    Yes.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Yes.
    HAHAHA!

Bobby Lane My favorite is John the Gospel written by John the revelator as Revelation written the same I believe !!! Not a history pro as I am a Spirit walker, much longer than I ever knew !!!!
    13 hours ago ∑ Like
    Lindasusan Ulrich Bobby: The gospel and Revelation were written by two different Johns. (Sorry.)
    13 hours ago ∑ Like
    Morons.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Don't bother. It is just a feeble attempt at gnostic gibberish. I doubt he/she understands any of that.
    I got a kick out of "mentally I'll" and the hanging sentence at the end. "Resurrect" is a transitive verb, meaning it needs both a subject and at least one object. Saying "this will help you resurrect" makes as much sense as saying "this will help you make" or "this will help you bring." In other words, it makes absolutely no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubie View Post
    I got a kick out of "mentally I'll" and the hanging sentence at the end. "Resurrect" is a transitive verb, meaning it needs both a subject and at least one object. Saying "this will help you resurrect" makes as much sense as saying "this will help you make" or "this will help you bring." In other words, it makes absolutely no sense.
    If reworded it would make sense, "This will help resurrect you." Because in the original you is being used as the ... oh shhiiiii, I forgot sentence structure names O_O it's being mushed in with bits of latin I and II from 4 years ago :*(, please I must have a guide for the structures.

Derailing thread because trans-genderism is just another deviation in a "progressive" society where hedonism is praised and anything traditional be it marriage of 1 man and 1 woman, abstaining from sex until marriage/not believing the media when it says humans should have sex with as many people, and a bunch of other things are seen as "regressive" and "1950's lovin' wife beaters"...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the midevil (and earlier) period, a man punished his wife because he would held responsible for her crimes and so she would have to be held accountable to someone for her actions.

Wow, I completely derailed this post O.o, ah well.

This is what I've always been told about the Gospels, from both liberal and evangelical teachers:

1. Matthew is long and detailed, because Matthew was the ancient version of an IRS agent.
    2. Mark is short and direct, and good to use in Bible studies with new Christians, because it doesn't have too much dogma and subtlety.
    3. Luke covers the Christmas story and also focuses on Jesus' healing miracles because Luke was a doctor, and those are the parts of the story that most engrossed him.
    4. John is poetical and is not necessarily following the same chronology as the other writers, mainly because he was writing philosophy as much as history.

Of course, that's oversimplifying it all. There is some debate among liberal scholars as to whether John the diciple/apostle wrote both the gospel of John and the Revelation, but I believe this is due to faulty dating of both of the writings as much later than the first century. I'm thining that I read about it in one of Harold Bloom's books, but I also think most conservative Christians wish that Bloom would stick with Shakespeare and leave the Bible alone.

Revelation 1:9
    King James Version (KJV)
    9 I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.
    Pretty clear it's the same John, as in the above verse he was speaking to Christ. The Apostle John was Jesus' brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Pretty clear it's the same John, as in the above verse he was speaking to Christ. The Apostle John was Jesus' brother.
    Actually, John was one of the sons of Zebedee, and not Jesus bio brother. James, the author of the epistle of James, was Jesus' brother.

I'm not disputing the authorship of Revelation myself, I just remember there were some scholars who dated the writing as mid-2nd century, which would make it impossible to have been written by the John who had been a disciple before Jesus' death and resurrection to have written it. It was definitely the opinion of my college religion professor that all of the gospels were written long after their presumed authors would be dead. But then again, he was an ordained PBUSA pastor who liked to pick fights between the Catholics and the Baptists in the class, and sit back and laugh at them.

Liberal theologians like Bart Ehrmans and Hans Kung, and literary critics such as Harold Bloom subscribe to the theory about the gospels being authored in the 2nd century.

My prof said that only Paul's epistles were written by who the church claims they were written by, because Paul's existence is easier for historians to document than Jesus' existence. That was his theory, and if he's still alive, he's probably still sticking to it.