Thread: BCE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1 BCE 
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    15,319
    I put this in this thread because this is where it belongs. For pretty much ever, BC(before Christ) has been used to denote "ancient history". I was reading up on some Roman History and they kept on referring to dates as "BCE" as in "Before Current Events". What makes this mindless moonbat gibberish is that something that happened in 1950 could hardly be considered "current events" let alone something that happened a millennia or 2 ago.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Ape Articulate_Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NJ, Exit Only
    Posts
    7,948
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I put this in this thread because this is where it belongs. For pretty much ever, BC(before Christ) has been used to denote "ancient history". I was reading up on some Roman History and they kept on referring to dates as "BCE" as in "Before Current Events". What makes this mindless moonbat gibberish is that something that happened in 1950 could hardly be considered "current events" let alone something that happened a millennia or 2 ago.
    BCE stands for Before the Common Era I believe, NJ. I think from a scientific/historical perspective the designation makes sense since there are numerous calendars in use (i.e. the Hebrew Calendar, Gregorian, etc.). In a more integrated world there needs to be a common dating system to avoid confusion.

    I don't consider this moonbattery, and it's certainly less absurd than our failure to adopt the metric system here in the US.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." ~ Albert Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Western MI
    Posts
    2,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    BCE stands for Before the Common Era I believe, NJ. I think from a scientific/historical perspective the designation makes sense since there are numerous calendars in use (i.e. the Hebrew Calendar, Gregorian, etc.). In a more integrated world there needs to be a common dating system to avoid confusion.

    I don't consider this moonbattery, and it's certainly less absurd than our failure to adopt the metric system here in the US.
    It could be moonbattery if it's used by some (and I bet it is) to diss Christ. Then it would be kooky talk. The metric system always scared me, I was relieved in school when I found out we didn't need to know much about it.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.



    Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Ape Articulate_Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NJ, Exit Only
    Posts
    7,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    It could be moonbattery if it's used by some (and I bet it is) to diss Christ. Then it would be kooky talk.
    That might be so, but it would indeed be kooky talk since it has nothing to do with that and, in fact, has its basis in the Christian calendar. The designation was first developed and frequently used by Christian monks.


    The metric system always scared me, I was relieved in school when I found out we didn't need to know much about it.
    Don't let it scare you. It's infinitely less complicated than the imperial system.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." ~ Albert Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Ancient Fire Breather Retread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    I came to Texas as soon as I could
    Posts
    3,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    ...................

    Don't let it scare you. It's infinitely less complicated than the imperial system.
    And makes a lot more sense. Kids would get arithmetic faster and easier if the US were metric.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Ape Articulate_Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NJ, Exit Only
    Posts
    7,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    And makes a lot more sense. Kids would get arithmetic faster and easier if the US were metric.
    Very true. I have often wondered if it is not this very fact that has contributed to our kids' math scores lagging behind much of the world which uses the metric system.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." ~ Albert Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Very true. I have often wondered if it is not this very fact that has contributed to our kids' math scores lagging behind much of the world which uses the metric system.

    yes...I want to use a system based on an arbitrary measurement that a short dude in pointy hat came up with
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member Madisonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Peoples Democratic Socialist Republic of Michiganistanovia
    Posts
    2,410
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    yes...I want to use a system based on an arbitrary measurement that a short dude in pointy hat came up with
    Because a measurement system based on the length of 3 barleycorn makes much better sense.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    Quote Originally Posted by Madisonian View Post
    Because a measurement system based on the length of 3 barleycorn makes much better sense.

    at lest it makes sense...better than some pipsqueak who thought to be Emperor of Europe and failed miserably
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Ape Articulate_Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NJ, Exit Only
    Posts
    7,948
    If you understand the number 10, the metric system is easy. If you don't understand the number 10, then you need a math class.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." ~ Albert Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •