Thread: BCE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The “metre” or “meter” has as it's physical standard one ten-millionth of the distance from the North Pole to the equator along the meridian running near Dunkirk in France and Barcelona in Spain. Measures for capacity (volume) and mass were to be derived from the unit of length, thus relating the basic units of the system to each other and to nature. Furthermore, larger and smaller multiples of each unit were to be created by multiplying or dividing the basic units by 10^x or simply by shifting the decimal point. This feature provided a great convenience to users of the system, by eliminating the need for such calculations as dividing by 16 (to convert ounces to pounds) or by 12 (to convert inches to feet).
    Measures for capacity (volume) and mass were to be derived from the unit of length, thus relating the basic units of the system to each other and to nature.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I put this in this thread because this is where it belongs. For pretty much ever, BC(before Christ) has been used to denote "ancient history". I was reading up on some Roman History and they kept on referring to dates as "BCE" as in "Before Current Events". What makes this mindless moonbat gibberish is that something that happened in 1950 could hardly be considered "current events" let alone something that happened a millennia or 2 ago.
    a) BCE = Before Christian Era (also Common Era, Calendar Era)

b) the notion of a Calendar era and Before Calendar era was introduced by a 6th Century Christian Monk

c) would you prefer the latin vulgaris aerae?

The BCE/CE designation for years is funny to me because it doesn't use any other demarcation than the birth of Christ, just like BC/AD. Thus, 2012 AD is the same as 2012 CE. So exactly what was the point of inventing it? It's like inventing a new name for feet or meters. "Well, we used to say 'one meter,' but now we say 'one flarnbat.' They are exactly the same, but we just prefer the new designation."

I remember seeing some moonbat story that referred to BCE as before current events. Even before Christian era is silly at it's core.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubie View Post
    The BCE/CE designation for years is funny to me because it doesn't use any other demarcation than the birth of Christ, just like BC/AD. Thus, 2012 AD is the same as 2012 CE. So exactly what was the point of inventing it? It's like inventing a new name for feet or meters. "Well, we used to say 'one meter,' but now we say 'one flarnbat.' They are exactly the same, but we just prefer the new designation."
    My guess would be so that the calendar, which is somewhat scientific in nature, isn't tied to a minority cultural perspective based on an event which may or may not have happened and is completely without foundation to have happened as described by a bunch of Asian monks. It would be more accurate to divide the calendar, if we must, by an historical or scientific event.

It should be noted that many people are under the impression that the "Jewish calendar" is ancient, when it is not. The Jewish year, 5772, was arrived at the same way that Creationists and Young Earthers decided how old the world is: by adding up the generations (some of which are ridiculously long) in the Old Testament and filling in the gaps with "reasonable estimates".

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I remember seeing some moonbat story that referred to BCE as before current events. Even before Christian era is silly at it's core.
    The clever thing to do for a culturally neutral designation would be to tie the calendar to a known celestial event about 6,000 years ago since regardless of which culture you are talking about, our "best" knowledge seems to run out of gas about 6,000 years ago and we then switch to ranges of estimated times for events.

This!
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    This!
    The who in the what now? I hope that meant you liked what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    My guess would be so that the calendar, which is somewhat scientific in nature, isn't tied to a minority cultural perspective based on an event which may or may not have happened and is completely without foundation to have happened as described by a bunch of Asian monks.
    *sigh* But no matter what term they use, the demarcation point REMAINS THE SAME. Thus, the whole "cultural perspective/sensitivity/neutrality" argument is wholly baseless.

It would be more accurate to divide the calendar, if we must, by an historical or scientific event.
    It already is divided by an historical event.

The who in the what now? I hope that meant you liked what I said.
    You nailed it. Good job.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand