Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 History Lesson OUR REAL ROOTS 
    A little lite reading for the Atheists, atheists, gnostics and agnostics but most especially for those who want to outlaw the Bible and it's believers.

We know this to be true.. but our grandchildren will not unless we hand them the information; to ponder and hopefully understand...!!

The email

Opps - almost forgot the 50 states buyin
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Ok, I will bite: What is your point? I am an atheist and I sure as hell don't want any religion to be banned, presecuted, etc etc. At the same time, I do not want someone's religious opinions to be deciding factor for laws. Because my mother thinks something is immoral in the eyes of God, does not mean it should be illegal to all. That simple. You can have morality without the Bible, Torah, Quran, etc. With that said, have a good day.
    “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.”Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    A little lite reading for the Atheists, atheists, gnostics and agnostics but most especially for those who want to outlaw the Bible and it's believers.

We know this to be true.. but our grandchildren will not unless we hand them the information; to ponder and hopefully understand...!!

The email

Opps - almost forgot the 50 states buyin
    Great information Retread. I knew some of the info but quite a lot is new to me. I've got it bookmarked. It's worth going over again, and again.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

And having notes in your pocket for when you run into those who try to claim different.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    Ok, I will bite: What is your point? I am an atheist and I sure as hell don't want any religion to be banned, presecuted, etc etc. At the same time, I do not want someone's religious opinions to be deciding factor for laws. Because my mother thinks something is immoral in the eyes of God, does not mean it should be illegal to all. That simple. You can have morality without the Bible, Torah, Quran, etc. With that said, have a good day.
    Yeah, I'm not getting the point, either. Anyway, many of the founders were Deists, not Christians.

Here, for example is Jefferson:
    .......Thomas Jefferson was editing the Bible, a book regarded by most of his fellow Americans as the word of God. The act was certainly presumptuous, perhaps blasphemous. But Jefferson found the task simple. The worthy parts of the Bible were easily distinguishable from the worthless—“as distinguishable,” he later wrote in a letter to John Adams, “as diamonds in a dunghill.”

Using the passages he sliced out of his Bibles, Jefferson created a new book, which he called, “The Philosophy of Jesus of Nazareth.” He had it bound but he never published it, and he told only a handful of close friends about it. His copy—the only copy that ever existed—later disappeared and is now lost to history.

But sixteen years later, he created another. In 1820, retired from politics and living at Monticello, Jefferson sat down again, at the age of seventy-seven, to edit the Bible. He purchased six Bibles—two in English, two in French, and two containing both Latin and Greek—and cut them up, creating a second edited version of the New Testament, in four languages.

In this book, he kept the words of Jesus and some of his deeds, but left out the miracles and any suggestion that Jesus is God. The virgin birth is gone. So is Jesus walking on water, multiplying the loaves and fishes, and raising Lazarus from the dead. Jefferson’s version ends with Jesus’ burial on Good Friday. There is no resurrection, no Easter Sunday. Jefferson called this version “The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth.”
    http://thehumanist.org/march-april-2...mas-jefferson/

The text goes on to say that if Jefferson were running for President today his chances of success would be torpedoed by his religious beliefs.................He called the writers of the New Testament “ignorant, unlettered men” who produced “superstitions, fanaticisms, and fabrications.”

Read it for yourself...

It would be silly to ban the Bible, many of our laws are based on its principles.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    You can have morality without the Bible, Torah, Quran, etc.
    Tell me, how well has this country done socially since the libs proclaimed God dead and crowned themselves as their own highest power? How would you rate the morality of this country today as opposed to the 1950s?

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Anyway, many of the founders were Deists, not Christians.
    I keep hearing this repeated, with reams of analysis from those that would rewrite history to their own liking, but have yet to see anything convincing in the way of historical quotes in context.

Here, for example is Jefferson:
    No, that is not Jefferson, that is a cut and paste from an organization with an agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by wasp69 View Post
    Tell me, how well has this country done socially since the libs proclaimed God dead and crowned themselves as their own highest power? How would you rate the morality of this country today as opposed to the 1950s?
    I cannot speak for the country, only myself. Many liberals believe in God, too. Don't get too deep into the myth that every last one is a Pagan. With that said, my morality can be closely related to Abraham Lincoln's views. "When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad." You don't need scripture for that. And yes many of our laws are similar to religious text but that doesn't necessarily mean that is the only reason they are laws. I do not need a book to tell me it is wrong to kill someone, self-defense aside. I don't need a book to tell me it is wrong to take that which isn't mine. But that is just me.
    “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.”Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by wasp69 View Post
    I keep hearing this repeated, with reams of analysis from those that would rewrite history to their own liking, but have yet to see anything convincing in the way of historical quotes in context.

No, that is not Jefferson, that is a cut and paste from an organization with an agenda.
    Meh.... I gave you the link from The Humanist, which seems genuine enough to me. You rejected it and said you haven't seen evidence.

OK. But just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it's not there. About the only thing I could recommend is that you go to The Smithsonian Institution and ask if you can read The Jefferson Bible for yourself. Who knows? Maybe they'll let you.