Thread: History Lesson OUR REAL ROOTS

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    And in conclusion:

I'm a Christian, if I'm wrong I lose nothing, if you're not a Christian and you're wrong, you lose everything.
    Fair enough. I am an Atheist. If I am right, I gain and lose nothing. If I am wrong, I am going out with a clean conscience knowing I lived a good life.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    Fair enough. I am an Atheist. If I am right, I gain and lose nothing. If I am wrong, I am going out with a clean conscience knowing I lived a good life.

That was my Grandpa's philosophy, and he lived to be 98. He never got senile, and hadn't gone to church except for weddings and funerals since he left his mother's home. My Grandma churched the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    AmPat, I don't want to get into a religious quarrel(sp?) over this. We are going to disagree. And that is fine by me. I don't think religious people are ignorant or anything to that extent. I respect individual faith, seeing as it helps most people. I am just not a person who believes in God. I pay my taxes, obey the laws, and don't treat anyone like trash. I would say I am doing just fine. Lastly the "If there is no God, there is no reason to constrain yourself" statement seems more an opinion in my eyes. Have a good day.
    OK, consider this:
    If there is no God, there would be no law, code, morals, restraint against killing somebody. Most people I know have had some insufferable prick do something really stupid and dangerous while driving. Cutting you off and selfish, aggressive driving. This leads to road rage which usually doesn't end in fatal confrontation.

Now what if there were no God? Why would there be any law against killing the prick? Why not off the selfish SOB and do the world and your anger a favor? What keeps you from doing that?

I'm not trying to convert you or argue. I merely want you to consider the possible and probable source of that restraiint.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

I find that very often the professed non-believer actually does have a vision of God. It's just that his vision of God is so greatly different from the tradition Christian vision, that is is expeditious to just say he doesn't believe.

In casual conversation, I say I just don't like going to church. When pressed I will say I am a non-Christian. At that point, most Christians call me an atheist. On rare occasions I use the term myself, but I actually do believe there is God. Just not the way you do.

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    OK, consider this:
    If there is no God, there would be no law, code, morals, restraint against killing somebody.
    I like this. Good healthy conversation. But what you said is merely an opinion as far as I can tell based on my beliefs, or lack thereof. Anything I say will be an opinion in your eyes. Agree to disagree and let's both just not be assholes and call it even.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger