Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    He makes John Conyers look like an intellectual, by comparison.

I never have understood anti-semitism in general, and specifically, the anti-semitism I have heard expressed by many african-americans. I can't speak about nation-wide jewish charity and generousity, but I can say that in Detroit, several of our charitable, medical and arts organizations are generously funded by jewish people.

Jewish Americans strongly supported the civil rights movement in the 50s and 60s.
    Jews were the only whites willing to live in neighborhoods where blacks were starting to become a presence. As the demographics shifted, the political representation did, too. Those neighborhoods had Jewish political representatives for a long time after the blacks became majorities, and if a black candidate wanted to defeat them, then the antisemitism card was very useful.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    This guy makes Anthony Weiner look like Winston Churchill. Barron is a hateful loon who spends his life in a constant search for the next racial grievance.
    To be perfectly clear, I meant Weiner in an ambiguous manner. You may speculate, but I'll give you a hint; I was thinking of:

Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Jews were the only whites willing to live in neighborhoods where blacks were starting to become a presence. As the demographics shifted, the political representation did, too. Those neighborhoods had Jewish political representatives for a long time after the blacks became majorities, and if a black candidate wanted to defeat them, then the antisemitism card was very useful.

Carl Levin got his start on the Detroit City Council.

If you are ever in Detroit, there are some really cool buildings that are now churches, but used to be temples. There is one that has stained glass windows that display jewish symbols, like the menorah. There is another that is now part of the Little Rock Historic Baptist Church campus, that has the verse about God's temple being a "house of prayer for all nations" carved in the stone at the top of the building. And there is a very modern temple in Southfield near Telegraph and I-696 that resembles Noah's Ark, or at least how it is represented in drawings.

Please convey my apologies to her. I only mean to scare liberals.
    Aw, she's used to it. I laugh out load often and we've been together 49 years. If she was going to be upset by it I would either have been kicked down the road or buried in the garden.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.