1. #1 How to Fillet a Liberal 
    Too funny. Enjoy:

James Delingpole is a writer, journalist and broadcaster who is right about everything. He is the author of numerous fantastically entertaining books, including his most recent work Watermelons: How the Environmentalists are Killing the Planet, Destroying the Economy and Stealing Your Children's Future, also available in the US, and in Australia as Killing the Earth to Save It. His website is www.jamesdelingpole.com.

An open letter to the Rt Rev Michael Langrish, Bishop of Exeter, on the subject of his foiled wind farm scheme[/h]
    By James Delingpole Environment Last updated: June 12th, 2012
    1066 Comments Comment on this article

Chittlehampton: a narrow escape indeed

Your Grace,

I was surprised to read in my paper this morning that you are feeling hard done-by over your foiled scheme to erect two 25-metre-high wind turbines on glebe land in each of three different sites in north Devon: Chittlehampton, Black Torrington and East Anstey.

Apparently you felt the opposition you encountered to your scheme was unnecessarily hostile and aggressive. You wrote (in a letter to the congregations of the villages you were planning to blight):

"I and many of my colleagues have received very unpleasant letters and those who have attended public meetings in a genuine effort to explain the thinking behind our proposals have been shouted down and called liars."
    What surprised me about your letter was that a man intelligent enough to have gained two degrees (one from Cambridge) and canny enough to have risen to the not totally immodest heights of the Bishopric of Exeter should yet be puzzled as to why his flock might object to having a hideous pair of bat-chomping, bird-slicing eco-crucifixes plonked next to their tranquil North Devon villages.

Bishop, you are no doubt a very busy man, what with all the sustainability workshops you have to attend and all the junk-science books by Mark Lynas and George Monbiot you have to read in order to keep abreast of the latest weapons-grade drivel about "climate change." Probably you haven't found time yet to visit Chittlehampton, Black Torrington and East Anstey. But that's OK: thanks to the wonders of the internet you can now visit them without once having to leave your episcopal throne.
    Here, for example, you will find pictures of the land near Chittlehampton where two of the turbines were to have been sited. (Bang next to the Old Vicarage, ironically). Pretty, isn't it? The kind of place, indeed, which needs wind turbines about as much as Exeter Cathedral green needs an Occupy encampment or a nuclear missile site or a high altar to Satan. The kind of place on to which only somebody woefully ill-informed, unbelievably thick-skinned or hopelessly in thrall to the pagan religion of Gaia-worship would ever dream of imposing such monstrosities. Which of these describes you, I wonder.

OK Bishop, I understand that the Church is hard up. (And why is that I wonder? Surely not because it has sacrificed most of its values and traditions in order to get down with the kids who, by the by, hate it when squares try to be cool and to embrace modish issues like sustainability and climate change instead of all that complicated old-fashioned stuff like belief in God?) I understand that the 50,000 a year you might have earned from the wind farm companies could have come in pretty handy.
    But to quote a book I know the church doesn't use that often these days, so forgive my impertinence in reminding you of it:

For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
    Because where, ultimately, Bishop, do you think that annual 50,000 would have come from?

Not from the electricity generated by the turbines themselves, let me assure you. Wind energy is to all intents and purposes worthless since, being intermittent and unreliable, it has no value in a consumer-demand-led free market. The only reason the wind industry exists at all is because of the massive subsidies it receives, mostly added onto electricity bills in the form of concealed tariffs.

And guess who are the people hardest hit by these concealed tariffs? Yep, the Poor. All those people who have been driven into something called "fuel poverty" as a direct consequence of the government's Brussels-driven obsession with renewable energy.
    And as a Bishop, are you traditionally expected to be nice to the Poor or horrid to the Poor, would you say? Yep, right again Bish see what wonders a Cambridge degree (and another from Brum) can do for you? you are expected to be nice to the poor.

You beginning to understand yet, why all those letters you received were so unpleasant?

Your brother in Christ (though not in Gaia-worship)

Jimmy D

--Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Great!

Good thing I'm not on KP
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot