1. #1 Vein grown from stem cells saves 10-year-old girl 
    Link
    Doctors in Sweden have replaced a vital blocked blood vessel in a 10-year-old girl using the first vein grown in a lab from a patient's own stem cells.

The successful transplant operation, reported online in The Lancet medical journal on Thursday, marks a further advance in the search for ways to make new body parts.

It could open the door to stem cell-based grafts for heart bypass and dialysis patients who lack suitable blood vessels for replacement surgery, and the Swedish team said it is now working with an undisclosed company to commercialize the process.

"I'm very optimistic that in the near future we will be able to get both arteries and veins transplanted on a large scale," said Suchitra Sumitran-Holgersson, professor of transplantation biology at the University of Gothenburg, and a member of the team that performed the operation in March 2011.

The advantage of using tissue grown from a patient's own cells is that there is no risk of organ rejection and hence no need for lifelong immunosuppressive drugs.

Four years ago, a 30-year-old woman received the world's first transplant of a tailor-made windpipe, grown in a similar way by seeding a stripped-down donor organ with her own stem cells. Other such trachea operations have followed since.
    Amazing!
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Link

Amazing!
    This can't be right, we have been told by the liberal acolytes of Moloch that the only way to grow viable tissue was with the stem cells harvested from aborted fetuses. This has to be a lie...

"These are the days of miracles and wonders".

I'm still hoping that some day, they will be able to grow my sister (who has Crohn's disease) a new colon with stem cells.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    "These are the days of miracles and wonders".

I'm still hoping that some day, they will be able to grow my sister (who has Crohn's disease) a new colon with stem cells.
    That would be wonderful. Seems like it's more of a possibility now than ever before.