1. #1 From the "Well, duh!" bin: very progressive school without books, tests failing 
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...q0GUDCGusUYmcK

The Blue School is one big play date in desperate need of adult supervision.

Parents are yanking their kids out of the “progressive,” $32,000 per-year private school founded by the Blue Man Group — which has no books and no tests — because their kids are barely learning to read, The Post has learned.

One mother, who is yanking her son at the end of the school year, complained that the school is “unstructured.”

“It’s true,” she said when asked if her kid was struggling to read.

School officials say students decide their own curriculum, and have no set arrival time. Grades run from kindergarten to third grade.
    No tests, no books, no structure, no standard curriculum, no set arrival time, no surprise this shithole of school is failing miserably.

Ooooh.

Down twinkies, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubie View Post
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...q0GUDCGusUYmcK

No tests, no books, no structure, no standard curriculum, no set arrival time, no surprise this shithole of school is failing miserably.
    Eh, just throw some taxpayer money at it, that'll fix the problem.

As someone who had most of her K-12 education in the 1970s, with hippie teachers, I can tell you that most of that unstructured classroom crap belongs on days in which the kids don't get to have outdoor recess because of the weather. If kids don't get the opportunity to run around like little maniacs for a few minutes in the morning, at lunch and in the afternoon, then they have trouble focusing on work and the class setting should reflect that.

But the average daily routine needs to be maintained, because children need to learn how the real world functions. My brother had this hippie teacher who pushed all the desks against the wall so that they could sit on the floor and relate with each other. I had a non-hippie but very lazy math teacher who used the old SRA (work at your own pace) boxes so that he wouldn't have to teach. He's also the one who told me I was lucky I was a girl and didn't really need to be able to do math.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    As someone who had most of her K-12 education in the 1970s, with hippie teachers, I can tell you that most of that unstructured classroom crap belongs on days in which the kids don't get to have outdoor recess because of the weather. If kids don't get the opportunity to run around like little maniacs for a few minutes in the morning, at lunch and in the afternoon, then they have trouble focusing on work and the class setting should reflect that.

But the average daily routine needs to be maintained, because children need to learn how the real world functions. My brother had this hippie teacher who pushed all the desks against the wall so that they could sit on the floor and relate with each other. I had a non-hippie but very lazy math teacher who used the old SRA (work at your own pace) boxes so that he wouldn't have to teach. He's also the one who told me I was lucky I was a girl and didn't really need to be able to do math.
    I wholeheartely agree! There absolutely is value in periods of unstructured time for free play. In fact, I'd go as far as saying such periods are absolutely critical for kids to have. Heck, adults need such periods! But making the whole school day into that is just a recipe for failure.