1. #1 Quit Doling Out That Bad-Economy Line 
    By Donald Luskin
    Sunday, September 14, 2008; B01

"It was the worst of times, and it was the worst of times."

I imagine that's what Charles Dickens would conclude about the current condition of the U.S. economy, based on the relentless drumbeat of pessimism in the media and on the campaign trail. In the past two months, this newspaper alone has written no fewer than nine times, in news stories, columns and op-eds, that key elements of the economy are the worst they've been "since the Great Depression." That diagnosis has been applied twice to the housing "slump" and once to the housing "crisis," to the "severe" decline in home prices, to the "spike" in mortgage foreclosures, to the "change" in the mortgage market and the "turmoil" in debt markets, and to the "crisis" or "meltdown" in financial markets.

It's a virus -- and it's spreading. Do a Google News search for "since the Great Depression," and you come up with more than 4,500 examples of the phrase's use in just the past month.

But that doesn't make any of it true. Things today just aren't that bad. Sure, there are trouble spots in the economy, as the government takeover of mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and jitters about Wall Street firm Lehman Brothers, amply demonstrate. And unemployment figures are up a bit, too. None of this, however, is cause for depression -- or exaggerated Depression comparisons.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...202415_pf.html
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Actually Luskin is correct. What we are witnessing is a self fulfilling prophesy.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    Actually Luskin is correct. What we are witnessing is a self fulfilling prophesy.

Youíre correct. The financial idiocy of the last half-decade can be easily overcome with flowers, smiles and chocolate bunnies.

At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    That is not what we are saying. There ARE issues but they have been made DRASTICALLY worse by the constant drumbeat of pessimism.

The fact of the matter is that economics is VERY much a psychological issue. It is driven by people who's decisions are based on the information they are given.

If they are constantly fed bad news, they tend to act in a manner that works to contract the economy.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    That is not what we are saying. There ARE issues but they have been made DRASTICALLY worse by the constant drumbeat of pessimism.

The fact of the matter is that economics is VERY much a psychological issue. It is driven by people who's decisions are based on the information they are given.

If they are constantly fed bad news, they tend to act in a manner that works to contract the economy.
    You haven't seen nutin yet. The real pessimism will commence when the 56 trillion dollar entitlement debt is due.

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    You haven't seen nutin yet. The real pessimism will commence when the 56 trillion dollar entitlement debt is due.
    Hey, wait..... isnt this all the Jews fault!? I mean, they control all of the banks, right!?
    **** Obama and **** you too.

Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMBA View Post
    Hey, wait..... isnt this all the Jews fault!? I mean, they control all of the banks, right!?
    That'd be awesome if they did, anyone knows more than the current people in charge of them.