Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Obama grants Holder request on 'Furious' documents as contempt vote looms 
    DEVELOPING ...

President Obama has granted an 11th-hour request by Attorney General Eric Holder to exert executive privilege over Fast and Furious documents, a last-minute maneuver that appears unlikely to head off a contempt vote against Holder by Republicans in the House.

The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee is expected to forge ahead with its meeting on the contempt resolution anyway.

ORIGINAL STORY ...

House Republicans appear to be charging ahead with a high-drama contempt vote against Eric Holder, after GOP Rep. Darrell Issa said the attorney generally failed to produce the documents he requested for the probe into the Justice Department's botched Fast and Furious operation.

The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee is scheduled to meet at 10 a.m. ET on Wednesday. Barring a last-minute document dump from Holder, lawmakers are poised to vote on a contempt resolution following debate this morning.

If the vote proceeds, Republicans have more than enough votes on committee to pass the resolution. However, Holder would not be considered to be held in contempt of Congress unless and until the full House approves the measure.

Issa and Holder have been going back and forth since last week over Issa's request for documents. Issa, R-Calif., indicated a willingness to postpone the vote after Holder indicated a willingness to make compromises and supply some documents in response to House Republicans' subpoena.

But Issa told reporters after a roughly 20-minute meeting with Holder Tuesday that the attorney general instead briefed them on the documents in lieu of delivering them.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...gainst-holder/
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

2. #2 BREAKING: Obama WH Grants Executive Privilege on FF Documents 

Fox News is reporting that the White House has approved AG Eric Holder's request to protect Fast and Furious documents under executive privilege.

link

GMTA...dupe.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    GMTA...dupe.
    Beat me by a minute!

Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    Beat me by a minute!
    LOL! At my age I'll take it!

Not surprised that "the most transparent administration in history" would pull a stunt like this.

All it proves is Holder...and possibly Obama are in it up to their ears where F&F are concerned.

After Holder made the request to Obama via letter on Tuesday, Deputy Attorney General James Cole wrote to Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., on Wednesday informing him that the president has granted the request.

"We regret that we have arrived at this point, after the many steps we have taken to address the committee's concerns and to accommodate the committee's legitimate oversight interests regarding Operation Fast and Furious," Cole wrote. "Although we are deeply disappointed that the committee appears intent on proceeding with a contempt vote, the department remains willing to work with the committee to reach a mutually satisfactory resolution of the outstanding issues."

Obama's decision pertains to documents from February 2011 and afterward examining how Justice officials learned about the Fast and Furious probe.

Holder, in his letter to Obama, said those documents pertain to the "deliberative process" on how to respond to congressional and media inquiries.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...gainst-holder/

Forgive my ignorance, but does executive privilege mean the President's privilege, and if so doesn't that mean that he has the relevant documents?

CNN’S LARRY KING: “Do you favor executive privilege or should Karl Rove and others in that like position be forced to testify before the House or Senate?

OBAMA: “Well, you know, I think we’ll — we’ll determine over the next several weeks how this administration responds to the very appropriate call by Patrick Leahy, the chairman of the Judiciary Committee, to have these individuals come in and testify. You know, there’s been a tendency on the part of this administration to — to try to hide behind executive privilege every time there’s something a little shaky that’s taking place. And I think, you know, the administration would be best served by coming clean on this. There doesn’t seem to be any national security issues involved with the U.S. attorney question. There doesn’t seem to be any justification for not offering up some clear, plausible rationale for why these — these U.S. attorneys were targeted when, by all assessments, they were doing an outstanding job. I think the American people deserve to know what was going on there.

SOURCE: CNN’s “Larry King Tonight,” 3/20/2007

http://dailycaller.com/2012/06/20/fl...#ixzz1yLVdhIW7

Forgive my ignorance, but does executive privilege mean the President's privilege, and if so doesn't that mean that he has the relevant documents?
    Executive privilege is defined as:

The ability of the president and executive officials to withhold information from or refuse to appear before Congress or the courts.
    They can claim because of the sensitivity of what they are being asked to reveal that they can refuse to testify about it or give doccuments relating to it.

The DOJ is an executive department, meaning that those in the DOJ are appointed by and serve at the will of the President nominally with Congressional approval. So, technically, executive privilege applies to anyone to whom the President deems it applies to.

That having been said, the courts have often construed executive privilege pretty narrowly in the past. The most famous example is United States v. Nixon, which ultimately led to Nixon's downfall. I think we're probably going to see the exact same thing play out here when all is said and done.

Personally, I rather doubt that Obama's hands are dirty in this particular mess, and the program did technically start under Bush, but Obama has placed sooooo much interest in keeping Holder in place to advance his agenda, from the protection of voter intimidation to selectively prosecuting "civil rights" cases (e.g. Trayvon Martin) in order to reach Cosmic Sameness that he can't throw Holder under the bus until after November.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.