Thread: Is Legalizing Weed Obama's Secret Weapon?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck58 View Post
    Dope of any kind will never be legal on my couple of acres, no matter what national or state law says.
    Private property is private property.

Michigan's anti-marijuana laws also ban the cultivation of hemp as a fiber, which is unfortunate for farmers, because it's an easy crop to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    What would legalizing weed do? He already has the burned out hippy and black vote.
    Stoners don't vote in large numbers. They aren't a cohesive bloc, and while legalization may draw a few of them off the couch, it won't make a difference unless the vote is so close that one or two hippies are the margin of victory. It's unlikely that the Democrats are counting on a wave of stoned dopers to swamp the polls and put them over the top.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    It was progressives that illegalized pot in the first place.
    The Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 was introduced by a Southern Dem, Robert Doughton. It was written by Harry J. Anslinger, the newly appointed head of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics. Anslinger was married to a niece of Andrew Mellon, who, along with Randolph Hearst and the DuPont family, lobbied for restrictions on hemp.

With the invention of the decorticator, hemp became a very cheap substitute for the paper pulp--Newspapers. Hearst felt that this was a threat to his extensive timber holdings. Mellon, Secretary of the Treasury and the wealthiest man in America, had invested heavily in the DuPont's new synthetic fiber, nylon, and considered its success to depend on its replacement of the traditional resource, hemp.

So, Progressives had nothing to do with making Pot illegal.

Also, the Marihuana Tax Act was found to be unconstitutional in 1969. In response, Congress passed the Controlled Substance Act-- signed into law by Richard M. Nixon and enforced by his AG, John Mitchell.

Nixon also purposed the EPA.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Obama and Holder have been bigger anti-pot Presidents than either Bush, Clinton, or Reagan. And yet many in the pro-legalization crowd still will vote for him because of some moronic idea that the "right" is "out to get them"
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    Obama and Holder have been bigger anti-pot Presidents than either Bush, Clinton, or Reagan. And yet many in the pro-legalization crowd still will vote for him because of some moronic idea that the "right" is "out to get them"
    Proof of that is even the DUmmies talk crap about Holder/Obama in regard to 'prosecuting granny with her med marijuana instead of closing gitmo' and the like.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Proof of that is even the DUmmies talk crap about Holder/Obama in regard to 'prosecuting granny with her med marijuana instead of closing gitmo' and the like.
    IKR? I find it pretty funny honestly
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry