Linky

AndyA (1000+ posts) Wed Sep-17-08 08:01 PM
Original message
I totally went off on two Republican women in a restaurant today.
Advertisements [?]I had dental work done today, so I don't exactly feel wonderful, and while standing in line at a restaurant to take out food, two women in line behind me were talking about how scary things were with the economy right now. One commented she had never seen a time when things were worse.

Then the other said that John McCain mentioned that Barack Obama's statement that he might delay his tax increases was just proof of how damaging Obama's tax hike would be to the economy.

That's when I let loose.

I turned around and told them that they probably didn't like McCain's tax hike plan, either. They said he was going to lower taxes, and I told them, NO, he is going to start making people pay taxes on any health benefits they receive from their employer. And I told them to check it out for themselves if they didn't believe me.

Then I told them that McCain couldn't be trusted because of his involvement with the savings and loan scandal. I told them to look up info on the "Keating Five." Then I mentioned how McCain used his office to cover up his wife's misuse of regulated drugs, which she was stealing from her charity that she set up as a cover to hide her abuse.

The women were shocked. I told them they wouldn't hear about this on the news, because the conservative owners of the media in this country had been covering up for Republicans for decades, and that there is no such thing as the liberal media. It's all a fallacy.

I could tell they didn't believe me, so I asked them to name a liberal television anchor, radio host, etc., and they both named Olbermann. One of them also said Rachel, but I can't remember her last name.

Then I asked them if they knew of any others. They didn't. So then I said, in contrast to the two liberals we know of, there's Rush, Sean, Dr. Laura, Glen Beck, Tucker Carlson, Joe, etc., who are all conservative. Then I asked them how was it that the liberal media had so few liberal hosts, and an overwhelming number of conservative hosts. They had no answer for that one.

I told them they should research on their own instead of believing what they heard on the news, because it was propaganda and that the media's corporate ownership benefited more from Republicans in office than Democrats.

I left by telling them that the deregulation policies of the Republican Party, going back decades, were responsible for what we're seeing today, and that if McCain was elected it would be four more years of the same thing we're seeing now. Then I reminded them that on Monday McCain was telling us all that the fundamentals of the economy were OK, and that when someone finally told him they weren't, he changed his story. Just like he did about offshore drilling, and all the other things he's flip flopped on.

And I reminded them that his VP nominee is a documented liar, and that she continues to lie to our faces, even though it's been widely published that she's lying.

In the line several people back was a girl who was nodding her head in agreement, and one of the guys behind the counter said he agreed with me.

I don't know if it did any good, but it made me feel better. I'm so sick of Republicans!
One and half bongs. The women didn't slink away in shame or have a on the spot conversion to Obamaism. Try harder next time.

Bonus time. A suicide mole run. :)

bikoman (10 posts) Wed Sep-17-08 11:38 PM
Response to Original message
33. The economy today is the Dems fault
Edited on Wed Sep-17-08 11:50 PM by bikoman
>I left by telling them that the deregulation policies of the Republican Party, going back decades, were responsible for what we're seeing today, and that if McCain was elected it would be four more years of the same thing we're seeing now. <

Bush introduced a bill in 2003 to regulate Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac because of loose lending and mismanaged accounting practices reported here in the NY Times:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E06E3D6...

McCain cosponsored the bill which was killed in committe by the ranking Banking Committe member Chris Dodd who was getting preferential loans from Countrywide at the same time. Dodd was the #1 recipient of campaign contributions from Frannie and Freddie and Obama was #2 taking hundreds of thousands. Frank Raines the former CEO of Frannie is an Obama advisor. The bill was also opposed by Barney Frank who feared that Republican oversight would reduce the availability of affordable housing for low-income families.

This is ground zero for today’s housing/credit crisis that’s causing the meltdown in the stock market, the economic recession and creating mass layoffs. I know dems don't want to acknowledge this but these are all facts that can be verified. Look it up.
XOKCowboy (1000+ posts) Thu Sep-18-08 07:30 AM
Response to Reply #33
42. I see no facts in your post
If you know this to be the gospel truth then prove it. While you're at it explain why for the last 8 years all we've heard from Republicans was deregulate and privatize everything. What we're seeing now is the result of that policy. You can try to pin this on the Democrats but you guys have had the White House for the last 8 year and the Congress for the 6 of the last 8 years. This is YOUR crisis and everybody knows it.
bikoman (10 posts) Thu Sep-18-08 11:15 AM
Response to Reply #42
57. Facts
Edited on Thu Sep-18-08 11:27 AM by bikoman
Fact: Fannie Mae and the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac) own or guarantee about half of the U.S.'s $12 trillion mortgage market.

Fact: Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac gave loan guarantees to Countrywide and other lenders to provide low-income housing in impoverished areas which historically vote democrat.

Fact: Fanny Mae CEO Frank Rains pay was based on profits - he was paid over $90M while CEO.

Fact: Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac were out of control providing easy money through questionable loan purchases and making guarantees on bad loans from Countrywide and Washington Mutual and other lenders without regard to risk. Since Fanny and Freddy were willing and able to buy these stinky loans it enabled and encouraged the mortgage industry to take more risk and sell more and more creative loan packages to uneducated borrowers and speculators.

Fact: Bush and Republicans introduce bill in 2003 to reign in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and mandate federal governence and oversight.

Fact: This bill was opposed by Barney Frank, Chris Dodd and other democrats who feared a reduction in low-income housing loans to their constituency. From the NY Times article:

''These two entities -- Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac -- are not facing any kind of financial crisis,'' said Representative Barney Frank of Massachusetts, the ranking Democrat on the Financial Services Committee. ''The more people exaggerate these problems, the more pressure there is on these companies, the less we will see in terms of affordable housing.''

Fact: The bill never got out of the Banking Committee as it was killed by the ranking member Chris Dodd in 2005.

Fact: Chris Dodd and Obama were #1 and #2 recipients of campaign contributions from Fannie and Freddy to the tune of 100’s of thousands.

Fact: Ex-CEO Frank Raines is now one of Obama’s economic advisors.
JoeIsOneOfUs (1000+ posts) Thu Sep-18-08 11:30 AM
Response to Reply #57
60. Fact: GOP controlled Congress 1995-2007. Fact: Pres. does not introduce legislation in Congress.
bikoman (10 posts) Thu Sep-18-08 12:36 PM
Response to Reply #60
64. more facts
Fact: When a bill is introduced in the Senate it may be referred to a committee where they can approve it, they can modify it, and send it back to the chamber it came from, they can sit on it and kill it with inaction. This one was killed by the Chairman of the Senate banking Committeee Chris Dodd.

Fact: Chris Dodd recieved preferential loans for Countrywide Financial during the period when this bill was in committee.
JoeIsOneOfUs (1000+ posts) Thu Sep-18-08 12:49 PM
Response to Reply #64
65. Who was chair of that Cmte in 2003 (the date you cited above) - NOT a Dem. nt
Continued next post....