1. #1 Major league umpire hit by broken bat 
    "Scary" doesn't even begin to describe this.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_min&c_id=min

Why is it that umps get hit EVERYWHERE BUT WHERE THE PADDING IS!?! Like WTF, there's one where the ball bounces and hits the umps testicles, up underneath the cup basically. My God, I wouldn't be surprised if he got a concussion from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wibbins View Post
    Why is it that umps get hit EVERYWHERE BUT WHERE THE PADDING IS!?! Like WTF, there's one where the ball bounces and hits the umps testicles, up underneath the cup basically. My God, I wouldn't be surprised if he got a concussion from that.
    I umpired for a couple of years and can't count how many times I was hit in unpadded places like the forearm, my side, in the thigh, ankle, side of the foot. Ridiculous.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

It's kind of hard to make out, but here's what I see happening. The lower part of where the bat broke was where the batter's upper hand was. The batter's grip kept the bat pieces together longer than they normally would be and the upper piece got carried through the entire swing right into the umpire's head. I hope the umpire will be okay (sounds like he's very well-respected in MLB) and that the batter doesn't feel too much guilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubie View Post
    It's kind of hard to make out, but here's what I see happening. The lower part of where the bat broke was where the batter's upper hand was. The batter's grip kept the bat pieces together longer than they normally would be and the upper piece got carried through the entire swing right into the umpire's head. I hope the umpire will be okay (sounds like he's very well-respected in MLB) and that the batter doesn't feel too much guilt.
    Looking at the super slow mo the barrel of the bat caught him right on the side of the mask. Even though it hit the mask, it still jars the hell out of you. I've been hit square in the mask before and had to take a few minutes so I can't imagine getting hit in a way that you weren't meant to.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.