Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,468
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    This meme is getting really old and it stinks of desperation.
    It's because they can't defend him and his hackneyed, half-assed policies any other way. When SCOTUS blows up Obamacare this week, it will be because "they're racist."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Moderator txradioguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bavaria
    Posts
    7,649
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingBig View Post
    You do realize Limbaugh was making a Straw Man argument? He misconstrued Donaldson's point to punch holes in it.
    Point out which part was taken out of context or misconstrued.

    And the answer "all of it" is not an acceptable answer.

    Specify.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

    Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

    To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

    The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member Arroyo_Doble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ft Worth
    Posts
    3,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Uh, no. Here is what Donaldson said"

    Many on the political right believe this president [Barack Obama] ought not to be there – they oppose him not for his polices [sic] and political view but for who he is, an African American! These people and perhaps even certain news organizations (certainly the right wing talkers like Limbaugh) encourage disrespect for this president."
    Here is Rush's response:

    "Sam's premise, sadly, is ignorant, simplistic, clichéd, predictable and wrong. The President's ideas are what I oppose, not his skin color, which I couldn't care less about. He's the President of the United States and his race does not inoculate or immunize him from substantive critique."
    Donaldson's argument is that opposition to Obama by many conservatives is race-based, and that because of this racism, they encourage disrespect for Obama. Rush directly addressed Donaldson's point. However, if you want to try to claim that Donaldson meant something other than what he clearly said, feel free to make the case.
    It was two separate clauses; one containing the group which opposes the president because he is black and the other being those in the Media (Rush specifically included). His claim is that both encourage disrespect for the President of the United States. He is not claiming that Rush opposes the president because he is black yet that is the straw man that Limbaugh creates with which he can argue. No where in your quote do I see Rush disagreeing with the position that he encourages disrespect for America's Commander-In-Chief.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Moderator txradioguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bavaria
    Posts
    7,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    It was two separate clauses; one containing the group which opposes the president because he is black and the other being those in the Media (Rush specifically included). His claim is that both encourage disrespect for the President of the United States. He is not claiming that Rush opposes the president because he is black yet that is the straw man that Limbaugh creates with which he can argue. No where in your quote do I see Rush disagreeing with the position that he encourages disrespect for America's Commander-In-Chief.
    Funny...I don't recall you being concerned with the Media say and accusing Bush of much worse things than "I hope his policies fail". for the 8 hers of his Presidency.

    IF all you and the rest of the Libtards have is "if you oppose him you're racist"...your collective intellectual pool is far shallower than any of us could have ever imagined.

    And specifically...how does his claim encourage disrespect? Is that a new corollary of "if you oppose him you're racist"? If you criticize his policies you're somehow disrespecting him?

    For God sakes Oreo he's a President not some God King.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

    Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

    To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

    The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    It was two separate clauses; one containing the group which opposes the president because he is black and the other being those in the Media (Rush specifically included). His claim is that both encourage disrespect for the President of the United States. He is not claiming that Rush opposes the president because he is black yet that is the straw man that Limbaugh creates with which he can argue. No where in your quote do I see Rush disagreeing with the position that he encourages disrespect for America's Commander-In-Chief.
    Wow. That's a serious attempt at deconstruction.

    Again, the actual quote:

    Many on the political right believe this president [Barack Obama] ought not to be there – they oppose him not for his polices [sic] and political view but for who he is, an African American! These people and perhaps even certain news organizations (certainly the right wing talkers like Limbaugh) encourage disrespect for this president."
    First, it wasn't two separate clauses, but two sentences. Second, the second sentence clearly equates spreading disrespect for Obama with racial bias, and Donaldson specifically singled out Rush as an example. Now, you can pull all of the Clintonian parsing that you want, but the definition of "is" hasn't changed.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Ancient Fire Breather Retread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    I came to Texas as soon as I could
    Posts
    4,744
    Donaldson is, as he always has been, an apologist and defender of any leftist who the public has identified as having bad ideas and an intent to knock this country into a loop. The little o is just the latest.

    Disrespect? I believe he is imbecile, but the office he holds is far more than he. Hopefully it will so be held by someone who cares about the country.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Donaldson is, as he always has been, an apologist and defender of any leftist who the public has identified as having bad ideas and an intent to knock this country into a loop. The little o is just the latest.

    Disrespect? I believe he is imbecile, but the office he holds is far more than he. Hopefully it will so be held by someone who cares about the country.
    True. Donaldson's not exactly the poster child for respectful treatment of the president. Remember how he used to shout at Reagan?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Ancient Fire Breather Retread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    I came to Texas as soon as I could
    Posts
    4,744
    I watched him some on 9/11 when he was calling W a coward for not getting out in front of the public and appear calm. He never did apologize even when it became clear that the SS was the reason.
    I always thought his behavior in that classroom showed his bravery, honor and leadership quite well.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    15,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    True. Donaldson's not exactly the poster child for respectful treatment of the president. Remember how he used to shout at Reagan?
    He and Helen Thomas used to brow beat Bush 41 at his press conferences. But at least he never goaded Reagan into an on air argument like Rather did with Bush 41.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Senior Member Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Western MI
    Posts
    2,360
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    He and Helen Thomas used to brow beat Bush 41 at his press conferences. But at least he never goaded Reagan into an on air argument like Rather did with Bush 41.
    Speaking of Helen Thomas, remember her getting banned from Dubya's press conferences because she was such a pip?

    She's Lebanese, I never thought of her as racist, just a...pip.
    Last edited by Gina; 06-25-2012 at 11:42 PM.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.



    Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •