Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Postal workers plan hunger strike to protest mail service’s financial problems 
    A small but determined group of postal workers and supporters will travel to Washington today to stage a four-day hunger strike to protest the U.S. Postal Service’s deteriorating finances and service and Congress’s failure to address the situation.

The strikers will make their stand days before the postal service makes changes that will end overnight delivery of up to 20 percent of the country’s first-class mail, as mail-sorting hubs are shuttered.

The group, Communities and Postal Workers United, formed this spring, with rallies in several cities to protest a range of planned cuts to postal services. Organizers plan to kick off their strike with a 10 a.m. press conference at the Capitol on Monday with Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D- Ohio) the only member of Congress so far who has publicly supported the effort. ...
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ss=federal-eye

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Kucinich??? That's all they have????

AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post

That pretty much means it's doomed!
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post

If they are the whack-job postal workers, they probably have semi-automatic weapons.

the U.S. Postal Service’s deteriorating finances and service and Congress’s failure to address the situation.
    Actually a valid point. Conservative pundits love to hate on the postal service, but the private carriers they hold up as examples charge from 10 to 20 time more per item, and the only other comparable government postal systems overseas (I.e., those that you can more-or-less count on not to steal everything valuable or useful from the mail and/or copy it for secret police dossiers) charge around twice as much. The whole thing would probably work swimmingly if postal rates reflected actual costs of operation, and it would still be cheaper than any alternative. Unfortunately, the most broken part of the postal system is that Congress set it up as a theoretically-independent agency, but kept so many strings attached to it that it can't actually operate as one, and so continues to sink financially. The strings are a witches' brew of Congressional motivations that range from wanting it to succeed but wanting to maintain too much control for it to actually work, wanting it to fail on its own and thereby force it back under complete control, and wanting it to mail miserably so privatization+magic=money.

Hunger strike. Wow, really? Funny considering that there are a few postal workers who could use a hunger strike.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    Actually a valid point. Conservative pundits love to hate on the postal service, but the private carriers they hold up as examples charge from 10 to 20 time more per item, and the only other comparable government postal systems overseas (I.e., those that you can more-or-less count on not to steal everything valuable or useful from the mail and/or copy it for secret police dossiers) charge around twice as much. The whole thing would probably work swimmingly if postal rates reflected actual costs of operation, and it would still be cheaper than any alternative. Unfortunately, the most broken part of the postal system is that Congress set it up as a theoretically-independent agency, but kept so many strings attached to it that it can't actually operate as one, and so continues to sink financially. The strings are a witches' brew of Congressional motivations that range from wanting it to succeed but wanting to maintain too much control for it to actually work, wanting it to fail on its own and thereby force it back under complete control, and wanting it to mail miserably so privatization+magic=money.
    Private carriers charge more and are more efficient. If I needed something to be somewhere tomorrow, I would never use the USPS Express Mail. Even though you're paying a higher rate and they claim to be a next day service, their small print says that they cannot guarantee overnight delivery. FedEX however does guarantee overnight delivery. Don't get me wrong, boondoggle or not, the USPS does a great job with the mail for the most part, it's still sucking money thanks in part for it being a government operation.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

The USPS is it's own worst enemy. Remember awhile back when the post office announced it was shutting down certain post offices as a "cost savings measure". Well Temple , Texas had 2 post offices so they shut one down. One was non union and operating in the black the other was union and operating in the red. Take a guess at which one they closed.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Privatization would probably increase prices, but the resulting improvements in service from competition would be worth it (the USPS has a monopoly on regular mail by law, and it's become their worst service).

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Hunger strike. Wow, really? Funny considering that there are a few postal workers who could use a hunger strike.
    They were going to do a work slowdown, but nobody would have noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    The USPS is it's own worst enemy. Remember awhile back when the post office announced it was shutting down certain post offices as a "cost savings measure". Well Temple , Texas had 2 post offices so they shut one down. One was non union and operating in the black the other was union and operating in the red. Take a guess at which one they closed.
    When did you live in Temple? We were there for four years while I was assigned to Hood.

I agree with you about the USPS being its own worst enemy. I did some freelance work for a company that used to let us pick up our checks in the office, but changed their policy after some of the freelancers failed to pick theirs up for several weeks. Then, everyone had to get theirs in the mail. The first one that they mailed to me arrived torn in half. I brought it to the post office and explained that the bank wouldn't accept it in that condition and that I needed the other half in order to deposit it, and asked what it would take for them to deliver my mail in one piece. Their response was less than impressive, but my bosses took one look at the shredded check and agreed that they would hold checks for a week before mailing if asked to.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Power CUer
    Great post!