Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Food Stamps make me eat right and stay fit 
    So...Obama is kicking out the welfare ads. It's going to be a long summer.

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Food stamps/EBT cards do help a lot of families, but there is a lot of abuse in the program. I kind of prefer the food giveaways-I did my field work in college at an agency that gave away government cheese and other surplus foods. We gave away the cheese, noodles, powdered milk, flour, sugar and cereal. Sometimes we had honey and butter.

We also gave the recipients recipes for using some of the items, and once, in the spring, we gave away vegetable seeds for people to plant.

If a poor family combines that assistance with that offered by area churches who have food pantries, they could get enough healthy food to do okay. But with EBT cards, they can just go out and buy the most unhealthy, processed, frozen crap available. And we wonder how there are so many fat poor people in the US!

Didn't someone already post this?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

I think it has been posted before.

The whole campaign reveals a fundamental difference in the thought process among those who administer food stamp programs and those who receive the product.

The majority - vast majority, I believe - of those who receive food stamp assistance end up where they are because of their inability to plan ahead. Their unplanned lives deliver them to dire straights fairly quickly and fairly often.

Those who design and administer such programs do not understand how their clients ended up where they are; they believe that their clients are simply victims of bad luck.

My own grandson, his live-in fiancee, and their child (catching a pattern here?), are just devastated this week because they were turned down for food stamps. The result? They will not be able to have the destination wedding they always wanted down to the Gulf Coast.
    But they don't need food stamps. They just 'want' them. They could afford the things they want if some else buys their food.
    I don't think they are particularly unusual.

theres no shame in it anymore, when they had stamps you had to use to get food I bet you felt shame and that should at least try to motivate you off of the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    theres no shame in it anymore, when they had stamps you had to use to get food I bet you felt shame and that should at least try to motivate you off of the program.

With EBT cards, no one knows they are using them instead of a credit or debit card, except the clerk. Unless the customers nearby know what the cards look like, that is.

The old food stamps definitely had the stigma factor, in that they were so easily identifiable, but they were probably even more prone to fraud than the EBT cards. People used the food stamps to buy drugs, for one thing, because the dealers took them as cash.

many of these people do not make the "healthy" choices this ad is claiming. Mountain Dews and bon bons more likely. I believe there is probably a slim minority that tries to feed their family healthy food, but F.S. make this so difficult because you cannot use them on healthier deli meats, as opposed to processed meat, etc.

What's incredibly funny about this ad is it's blatant racism by a government organization.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    Isn't it interesting that one federal agency (USDA) is pushing food stamps which has the effect of making some people dependent on their food from other people but another federal agency (USNPS) forbids feeding the bears so that the bears won't become dependent on their food source coming from people.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Reb View Post
    Isn't it interesting that one federal agency (USDA) is pushing food stamps which has the effect of making some people dependent on their food from other people but another federal agency (USNPS) forbids feeding the bears so that the bears won't become dependent on their food source coming from people.
    We call that.... "liberal Logic" around here, and by logic I mean stupidity