1. #1 The Road to Hell 
    By Robin of Berkeley

Back in my über liberal days, I had a mad love affair with the San Francisco Chronicle, our local daily. One of the greatest pleasures of my day was imbibing every news story and feature of our left-leaning paper.

But when that paper started devoting way too much air time to slobbering over candidate Obama, my infatuation grew sour. It wasn't long before I permanently stopped my subscription and started looking for news in all the right places.

I just happened on my old love interest the other day when I was relaxing in a cafe and spotted the Chron sitting there. I decided to take a look and check out the latest nuttiness.

Well, speaking of "slobbering," the newspaper was practically drooling over a bizarre, new program being launched in San Francisco. The city will be giving a homeless person a four-legged friend to foster: a homeless pup from the pound. But the transient won't get the pick of the litter, but a "problematic" dog. And since California is overflowing with money (LOL), the city will generously throw in a stipend to care for the pet.

What could possibly go wrong here?

First off, raise your hands if you think that many of these street people will actually use the added income for the benefit of their new best friends? When the call of booze and cocaine beckons, what will happen to Rover's Purina?

Secondly, where will this happy, new couple actually live? Given that many shelters and residential hotels won't allow pets, where will they sleep? And if it's on the streets, who will clean up all of the extra poo and piddle?

Finally, does anyone else see a problem with a possibly psychotic, drug-addled transient in charge of a "problematic" pet? Stay tuned for a year from now when the authorities announce that the spanking new program is on hold due to the plethora of lawsuits charging dog bites -- or even worse.

Before my conversion rightward, I would have thought this new program exciting and admirable. Now I see it, and others like it, as simply idiotic. And I view my old self, and anyone connected to these hare-brained schemes, as incredibly naive.

Around here, we have a never ending supply of such idiocy, which is partly why the Bay Area, and all of California, is going to hell in a hand basket. California dreams big, as in a Dream Act of funding the tuition of illegal aliens -- all while the state goes belly up. But everyone knows that Berkeley is Berkeley and San Francisco is San Francisco. The country expects lunacy from these parts.

But what is so troubling is that the left's shenanigans are no longer confined to experimental locales, like Berkeley. With Obama and the left seizing power, ridiculous and even dangerous schemes are being foisted on the mostly unknowing public.

We have the Occupation, now elevated to heroic proportions and even funded by corporate fortunes, such as Ben, of Ben and Jerry's. What may have started out by some as a peaceful protest against Wall Street has turned into alcohol-fueled bloodfest against police, random passersby, stores, and cars. Just as some of our homeless pets will inevitably turn wild, so will these leftist plots for a better tomorrow.

I was one of the victims of said plots -- forced busing in the 60's. And today's children are subjected to even more sinister schemes. Our poor kids are stress cases as they worry about saving the planet from extinction. And, worse, instead of spelling and fractions, our little tykes are receiving x-rated lessons about sodomy.

While trying to change the world may seem harmless enough, in reality it is playing with fire. It's arrogantly believing that God needs an assistant (us). Or it's the ultimate tragedy of losing our sense of connection to God Almighty.

To borrow from Pascal, without God we have a vacuum shaped hole in our hearts, which we desperately try to fill with something. For hedonistic types, it's sex, drugs, and rock and roll. For those striving for existential meaning, it's changing the world through grandiose schemes.

But look around at what's happened to this once proud country; see the wreckage up close and personal in places like Berkeley or San Francisco. When we usurp God, when we try to play God, we create a hell on earth. Through social engineering, through all of those so-called good intentions, monsters and mad dogs are created -- both in ourselves and in others.

Orchestrating all of this from the sidelines is that old Devil himself, the one who has ingratiated himself into the hearts and minds of people with no other God besides themselves. While it may seem formidable to get on one's knees in worship of an Almighty God, the alternative is literally hellish.

As the aphorism goes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Sadly, horrifyingly, when the Evil One arrives at his final destination place, there will be many well-intentioned people -- and those not so well-intentioned -- tumbling after him.

*Note from Robin:

This will be my last article for American Thinker, at least for the foreseeable future. Please check my website: www.robinofberkeley.com for occasional posts.

It's been a fantastic ride, and I thank all of my readers for your amazing insights and your innumerable kindnesses. I wouldn't be who I am today without you.

And to anyone out there living without God, may I humbly make a suggestion? Ask Him to reveal Himself to you. It will be the most important, and the most life saving, decision you have ever made. It doesn't matter who you are; it doesn't matter what you've done during the course of your life. Our God is the God of second chances.

I stand in awe of You. And everything You've done for me.

You speak Your words into my life

and where You are is where I want to be.

I stand before you Lord

Humbled by the love You give away

A widow's mite, my will and pride

It's all I have to offer anyway.

I'm holding on to Your love

I'm letting go of myself

I say so long

to everything else.
    (Matt Maher, Letting Go)

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/...#ixzz1zHmu3n1P

Robins back
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

It's always nice to hear about a crazy liberal coming to their senses.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.