Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Paging Linda Numbers 
    Power CUer
    I heard the storms in NoVA last night caused major damage and death. I have relatives in the area that I cannot reach. I was wondering if you knew anything about conditions in Burke, VA, especially around the high school there. (I forget the name of it). Is there a way to find out where the damage is?

Thanks,

Elspeth

(This is assuming your own power isn't out. )

As I have no idea of where Burke might be, I have no help for you but... the daughter in Arlington just texted that they have their power back. When the earthquake came in up there the only communication that worked for them was facebook if you can believe it.

She was not so fondly remembering her days on the gulf coast and the passage of several hurricanes during the day today.

The last reports I have has only two dead - one in a house collapse and another whose car got flattened by a huge tree limb while driving home.

Sorry I can't offer more info.

update:
    The thunderstorms also claimed the lives of two people late Friday in Springfield, Fairfax County police said.

A 27-year-old Burke man died when a tree fell on his car while he was driving in the area of Old Keene Mill Road and Bauer Drive just before 11 p.m. Friday, police said in a news release.

Police said Khiet Nguyen was driving his 1998 Mercury west on Old Keene Mill Road when a tree fell on his car. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Around the same time, in the 8100 block of Carr Street, a tree fell on a house killing a 90-year-old woman as she was lying in bed, police said.

Another resident of the house called 911, but could not reach the woman. Police are still working to reach the woman’s next of kin and have not yet released her name.
    Last edited by Retread; 06-30-2012 at 11:48 PM.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    As I have no idea of where Burke might be, I have no help for you but... the daughter in Arlington just texted that they have their power back. When the earthquake came in up there the only communication that worked for them was facebook if you can believe it.

She was not so fondly remembering her days on the gulf coast and the passage of several hurricanes during the day today.

The last reports I have has only two dead - one in a house collapse and another whose car got flattened by a huge tree limb while driving home.

Sorry I can't offer more info.

update:
    The thunderstorms also claimed the lives of two people late Friday in Springfield, Fairfax County police said.

A 27-year-old Burke man died when a tree fell on his car while he was driving in the area of Old Keene Mill Road and Bauer Drive just before 11 p.m. Friday, police said in a news release.

Police said Khiet Nguyen was driving his 1998 Mercury west on Old Keene Mill Road when a tree fell on his car. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Around the same time, in the 8100 block of Carr Street, a tree fell on a house killing a 90-year-old woman as she was lying in bed, police said.

Another resident of the house called 911, but could not reach the woman. Police are still working to reach the woman’s next of kin and have not yet released her name.
    Thank you for the information.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Power outages could last for days

Hopefully she isn't a too badly hit area...
    May the FORCE be with you!

Are you kidding shes prolly rocking 5 generators to keep cool, no way she wants to sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Are you kidding shes prolly rocking 5 generators to keep cool, no way she wants to sweat.
    I presume you mean perspire.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I presume you mean perspire.
    lol

Elspeth ...

Praying that you hear from relatives soon, and that you can stop worrying!

Also, hoping that Linda and hubby are doing OK as well.

Bailey and Rock ...

FYI, women neither "sweat" nor "perspire!" As one of my aerobics instructors used to say, women "glow!"

As for men, when they are overheated??? The words "stink to high heaven" come to mind! ...

Must be all that testosterone!

~ ABC
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    Elspeth ...

Praying that you hear from relatives soon, and that you can stop worrying!
    ABC
    Thank you so much. I heard from family last night, late. What a mess! One relative had a tree branch go through her roof. The wind apparently had snapped the thick branch from an old tree and shot it like a missile through the kitchen roof.

The others are ok, though. Power is on in some places.

It's been a bit odd. My part of Alexandria is relatively new construction, and the power lines are all underground, so except for a couple of moments where the power dimmed, our has had no interruption during the storm. However, a few blocks away, the traffic light is out and the CVS store at the corner had no power for a while. They shut down the PX and Commissary at FT Belvoir on Saturday, but otherwise, I wouldn't have noticed anything if it weren't for the news.

I'm sure that your family is okay.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!