Thread: Paging Linda Numbers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Power CUer
    Sorry to be late checking in. Everything is fine, and from what I've been able to see myself, Burke was hit less hard than almost anywhere else.

We went to bed about 10.15 Friday night and went soundly to sleep - so deeply that apparently we missed the wild weather that blew through around 11 pm. People in the neighborhood said it sounded "like a freight train". We didn't even hear two largish (24" diameter) trees come down in the back yard.

I woke up around 1 am because the bedroom was so stuffy, and realized the power was out. My husband called the power company recorded line, I opened windows, and it was raining lightly with a cool breeze so we slept well for the rest of the night. It wasn't until morning that we saw the carnage in the neighborhood - huge trees down or split in half, branches and clumps of leaves everywhere. Our trees that came down didn't do any damage, fortunately.

There was a pretty good breeze on Saturday morning even though the temps were climbing, so we did fine. Around 2 pm we emptied the icemaker and used the ice in bags to pack into the freezers. That amount of effort was enough to make the power come back, which it did completely around 3 pm Saturday, and we have been fine ever since.

Virginia is doing much better than Maryland; Dominion Power seems far more organized, and PEPCO (Maryland) is just always a mess, one of the worst companies in terms of response time in the country, I think.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Sorry to be late checking in. Everything is fine, and from what I've been able to see myself, Burke was hit less hard than almost anywhere else.

We went to bed about 10.15 Friday night and went soundly to sleep - so deeply that apparently we missed the wild weather that blew through around 11 pm. People in the neighborhood said it sounded "like a freight train". We didn't even hear two largish (24" diameter) trees come down in the back yard.

I woke up around 1 am because the bedroom was so stuffy, and realized the power was out. My husband called the power company recorded line, I opened windows, and it was raining lightly with a cool breeze so we slept well for the rest of the night. It wasn't until morning that we saw the carnage in the neighborhood - huge trees down or split in half, branches and clumps of leaves everywhere. Our trees that came down didn't do any damage, fortunately.

There was a pretty good breeze on Saturday morning even though the temps were climbing, so we did fine. Around 2 pm we emptied the icemaker and used the ice in bags to pack into the freezers. That amount of effort was enough to make the power come back, which it did completely around 3 pm Saturday, and we have been fine ever since.

Virginia is doing much better than Maryland; Dominion Power seems far more organized, and PEPCO (Maryland) is just always a mess, one of the worst companies in terms of response time in the country, I think.
    Glad you escaped major damage!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Glad the damage wasn't bad Linda!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Power CUer
    Me too. Power went out again last night for an hour - they were just taking spots down and putting them back as part of repairs - and I just freaked at the thought of being so hot again.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Me too. Power went out again last night for an hour - they were just taking spots down and putting them back as part of repairs - and I just freaked at the thought of being so hot again.
    They must have balls of steel to take power from you. :D

Glad you are doing ok

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    They must have balls of steel to take power from you. :D

Glad you are doing ok
    They know not who they mess with......

Sorry to be late checking in. Everything is fine, and from what I've been able to see myself, Burke was hit less hard than almost anywhere else...

Thanks, Linda. It is really helpful to know. I heard the winds were up to 80 mph. I also heard that a number of people died, so you can see why I was worried.

Ody, also thanks for your report from Alexandria. From what I have heard, streetlights went out all over and trees crashed into cars and houses.