1. #1 Michelle Obama: There is ‘No Place Better’ Than Church to Talk About Political Issues 
    Link
    (CNSNews.com) – There is no better place than church to talk about political issues because they are ultimately moral issues, First Lady Michelle Obama told a church gathering on Thursday.

“To anyone who says that church is no place to talk about these issues, you tell them there is no place better – no place better,” Obama told the African Methodist Episcopal Church’s 49th general conference, held in in Nashville, Tenn.

“Because ultimately, these are not just political issues – they are moral issues,” she said. “They’re issues that have to do with human dignity and human potential, and the future we want for our kids and our grandkids.”

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/mich...itical-issues#

Bill Donahue, president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights, said the comments amounted to politicizing religion.

“Michelle Obama followed in the footsteps of her husband yesterday when she called for the politicization of religion,” he said in a statement. “President Obama has explicitly called for ‘congregation captains’ to organize for his reelection.”

“Since the Obamas have taken the gloves off – in effect calling for Americans not to be restrained by separation of church and state legalisms – others should follow suit,” Donahoe said. “I hope that the bishops, priests, evangelical ministers, and the orthodox members of all religions are taking note.

“We don’t have two constitutions: if the Obamas are giving the green light to those in their faith community to merge politics and religion, there are no more red lights left for anyone to obey,” he said.
    Apparently, liberals feel it's ok to use church when it suits their agenda, but GOD forbid if a conservative or Republican says anything political in church, because we're fundies with our ultimate goal of a theocrasy.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Both sides push the line when it comes to religion and politics. Liberals go to churches to campaign. The Christian Coalition hands out voter guides in conservative churches.

The only time I've seen politicians in church when they weren't campaigning was the Sunday after 9-11. Sen. Levin, then-AG Granholm, and then-rep Bonior all attended my church that Sunday. It wasn't about campaigning, it was about showing solidarity with their constituents. It wasn't an election year, either.

This from the same crowd that jeered then GOP candidate George Bush for saying that his personal hero was Jesus Christ.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Both sides push the line when it comes to religion and politics. Liberals go to churches to campaign. The Christian Coalition hands out voter guides in conservative churches.

The only time I've seen politicians in church when they weren't campaigning was the Sunday after 9-11. Sen. Levin, then-AG Granholm, and then-rep Bonior all attended my church that Sunday. It wasn't about campaigning, it was about showing solidarity with their constituents. It wasn't an election year, either.
    And the church didn't burst into flames? Wowie!
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Like I said elsewhere, you'll never find more hypocrisy from liberals than when it comes to religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    And the church didn't burst into flames? Wowie!

It was my former church, back when Marianne Williamson was the "pastor". I use quotes not because I question the concept of female pastors, but because I now question this particular woman's qualifications to be one.

..............The only time I've seen politicians in church when they weren't campaigning was the Sunday after 9-11. Sen. Levin, then-AG Granholm, and then-rep Bonior all attended my church that Sunday. It wasn't about campaigning, it was about showing solidarity with their constituents. It wasn't an election year, either.
    It may also have had something to do with them recently having the B'jesus frightened out of them. We were all frightened that day of 9/11. I remember total strangers greeting me as if I were an old friend. Everyone reached out to everyone else for a time......You almost couldn't get in to a church that Sunday; they were all packed.

It wasn't about campaigning, it was about showing solidarity with their constituents. It wasn't an election year, either.
    That's just as bad. You're not suppose to go to church for the congregation. If you're their for any reason other than to worship, you should just stay at home.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    It may also have had something to do with them recently having the B'jesus frightened out of them. We were all frightened that day of 9/11. I remember total strangers greeting me as if I were an old friend. Everyone reached out to everyone else for a time......You almost couldn't get in to a church that Sunday; they were all packed.
    Funny how many people who aren't "religious" still run to God when the shit hits the fan.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post

Except for Bonior, none of them lived in the area. I know that some of the conservative pols did the same thing at more conservative churches in the area, that weren't the churches of which they were members.

I don't have a problem with it, in either case. It was a way of showing the constituents their concern. In my church, none of the politicians in attendance that week addressed the congregation from the pulpit.