Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Philadelphia Mayor Apparently Wants Occupy National Gathering Participants to Go Thir 
    link

They think they should have free healthcare, post high school schooling, free electricity in their "occupy campsites" why should we be surprised that they think that the city should cater to them and give them free water?
    Hissyspit (37,824 posts)

Philadelphia Mayor Apparently Wants Occupy National Gathering Participants to Go Thirsty in Heat

http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/201...irsty-in-heat/

Philadelphia Mayor Wants Occupy National Gathering Participants to Go Thirsty in Heat

By: Kevin Gosztola Sunday July 1, 2012 4:26 pm

Record-breaking heat has been sweeping the United States. The Occupy movement is holding a major National Gathering in Philadelphia right now, where the temperature has reached ninety-five degrees Fahrenheit. Anyone spending hours out in this weather needs to drink water so as not to pass out from heat exhaustion. But Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter, a Democrat, has issued orders instructing city departments and other organizations in the city to not give water to occupiers.

Occupiers intended to be able to get water from a fire station nearby where the Gathering has been taking place (right downtown around Independence Mall). When occupiers went to get water for participants who would be at today’s activities, a firefighter said the department could not give occupiers water. A direct order had been given from Nutter to not provide water to occupiers.

A person who is out in heat for a long period can get an illness. In extreme cases, people can die. The most serious illness, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), is heat stroke. One of the factors that can contribute to the cause of these heat-induced illnesses is “low liquid intake” or lack of water. It is highly encouraged that people drink water “every fifteen minutes.”

This order is a clear example of repression. A Democratic mayor does not want to be seen as encouraging the Occupy movement. He would like to make sure none of his precious campaign donors in the city get wind of city employees like firefighters helping people stay well throughout the Gathering. Ordering firefighters to not give out water may keep the numbers low. Having police not let people have water to distribute can keep numbers low, too. The mayor would rather have occupiers pass out and go to the hospital with serious heat illnesses than risk being seen as too sympathetic to this movement for economic equality and justice.

MORE AT LINK

I haven't found confirmation of this personally:

pHink a. saurus ‏@pHinkasaurus
    #wtf MT @OccupyFreedomLA @occupyng confirmed via twitter that Philly mayor asked Quakers not to give protesters water
    Fumesucker (25,685 posts)

1. Damn Republicans just have no soul...

I bet they'd let a Tea Party gathering have all the water they want..
    SickOfTheOnePct (395 posts)

32. The Occupiers are not stupid and not naive

They know, or should know, that few municipal governments, regardless of party, are going to do anything to help them or make their lives easier. This point was demonstrated time and time again last year and earlier this year.

Assuming that any mayor, unless he or she has publicly stated support for the movement, is going to do anything to help them, including keeping them hydrated in scorching weather, is not smart, IMO.
    Fire Walk With Me (32,222 posts)

59. It does reveal the depth to which they will all sink in order to attempt to hurt the movement.

Denying basic general public services to people in an area now under heat death advisory? That's going to win friends and influence penople. It goes to show who owns what...and it's not we, the people. Time to take it all back.
    nadinbrzezinski (105,761 posts)

20. Well the lawsuit should be fun

what is next? EMS cannot respond on a heat stroke call?
    EFerrari (163,904 posts)

37. Yeah, so stupid to expect public servants to serve the public.

Well, Occupy got a good story out of it, which is likely what they wanted in the first place.
    nobodyspecial (1,129 posts)

60. Unless arrangements were made ahead of time

I don't know why the city is under obligation to provide free water. I'm sure the fire department has to pay the agency that provides water. They are all separate municipal taxing units. Whenever I go to events, the organizers provide the water, not the city. Why would this be any different?

Why should taxpayers foot the bill for free water for protesters? Should the city provide free water for the next KKK demonstration?
    99Forever (807 posts)

95. Is there a possible lawsuit against this mayor..

.. if a citizen becomes seriously ill or dies because of this? Are firestations NOT PUBLIC PROPERTY? Is not the mission of PUBLIC SAFETY PERSONNEL to protect and serve the HEALTH and SAFETY of THE PUBLIC?
    myrna minx (19,295 posts)

97. It's rather brutal to see people on DU cheering on the misery of the occupiers or any other human beings.
    4th law of robotics (1,666 posts)

103. I think it's more "they created problems for themselves

that should have been immediately recognizable to anyone with an ounce of common sense. I've never organized a mass anything but you can bet that in the middle of summer any outdoor event I was forced to put together would include copious amounts of water everywhere.

They're going to change the system but they don't have the wherewithal to even provide for their own self-preservation?

This is like complaining about getting hit by a car because no one was there to look both ways for you. Or blaming the government for making it cold in the winter and not giving you mittens.

Stupidity doesn't deserve sympathy.

They should give them free water. From a firehose.

I am going camping next week. I wonder if I could get the local fire department to bring me out some water and a few beers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I like the way you think!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar

These idiots really aren't too bright, why not go Occupy a nice A/C Mall???
    May the FORCE be with you!

I hope there is someone there to counter-protest these idiots.

America has not forgotten what happened in Oakland.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Even other liberals don't want them around. That should tell them something.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I particularly love this comment:

Fumesucker (25,685 posts)

1. Damn Republicans just have no soul...

I bet they'd let a Tea Party gathering have all the water they want..
    The OP specifically said that the mayor was a Democrat. Reading comprehension isn't a priority at DU, is it?

And throw in some soap, while they are at it.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post

These idiots really aren't too bright, why not go Occupy a nice A/C Mall???
    Don't give them any ideas.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    link

They think they should have free healthcare, post high school schooling, free electricity in their "occupy campsites" why should we be surprised that they think that the city should cater to them and give them free water?
    If they want free water from the city, they can go find a drinking fountain in a city-owned building. Bunch of fricking freeloaders.