Hybrid View

1. #1 Tomb of the Unknown Soldier 
    75 years ago today, on July 2, 1937, a 24 hour guard was mounted for the first time at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Arlington National Cemetery. Since April 6, 1948 the 3d U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard) has guarded the Tomb 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

God Bless Our Troops!
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

And don't you piss them off by being disrespectful at the site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mzTsCN7mNs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYCPbP_a46I

But yeah, these guys are awesome in their dedication.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqZ-mkdp1H0

On July 5, Spc. Edward Marshall, 3d U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard), walked his last walk as a Sentinel at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery. Marshall is one of only 602 Soldiers to have earned the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Guard Identification Badge. An Army Guard has guarded the Tomb 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for the last 75 years.

Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

I remember going to Arlington on a family trip to DC when I was about 12. We went to JFK's grave, first, and my dad prepared us for how to properly behave at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. When we were there, though, the guard pointed his gun at a toddler who had gotten too close and he barked at the parents to keep their child away. Scared the crap out of us-my parents couldn't believe that any parents would take such a small child to a place in which quiet respect was expected.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    .......................Scared the crap out of us-my parents couldn't believe that any parents would take such a small child to a place in which quiet respect was expected.
    They do it all the time and don't think twice - there is so little respect left for anything.

Hopefully it scared those parents into a better behavior pattern but I figure they filed a complaint.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

I read somewhere that they were ordered to leave the tomb due to a bad storm, well they said hell no and guarded the tomb in hurricane force winds and rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    They do it all the time and don't think twice - there is so little respect left for anything.

Hopefully it scared those parents into a better behavior pattern but I figure they filed a complaint.

My parents waited to take us to DC until we were old enough to understand some history. Why take toddlers to Arlington, the Capitol, Mt. Vernon and all those types of places? They'd much rather meet the mouse in Orlando.