Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    The only person authorized to tell them to leave their guard duty is the President.

The storm you're referencing is the hurricane that passed through there in 2003.

And they refused to leave. Same thing with that tropical storm that brushed the east coast in 2006 and the Blizzard of 2009.

They guard that tomb like they've got family in there.
    C'mon tx, they do have family in there.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

They do. We all do. That said, it sickens me that in today's society, reverence is rarely observed. There are simply places you just don't talk in. The first video and listening to idiots not only talking but giggling as well. If you're not going to respect where you're at then don't go. I'd be interested to see if there is any video with some real knuckleheads(OWS types) and what happens if things really get out of hand. I'm glad to see that this is what happens at this tomb. It's a constant reminder that the freedom we enjoy comes at not only a cost, but must be vigilantly protected. God bless these men in what they do.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    They do. We all do. That said, it sickens me that in today's society, reverence is rarely observed. There are simply places you just don't talk in. The first video and listening to idiots not only talking but giggling as well. If you're not going to respect where you're at then don't go. I'd be interested to see if there is any video with some real knuckleheads(OWS types) and what happens if things really get out of hand. I'm glad to see that this is what happens at this tomb. It's a constant reminder that the freedom we enjoy comes at not only a cost, but must be vigilantly protected. God bless these men in what they do.
    OWS members aren't that stupid to try something there, they know if the guard doesn't stab/shoot them the crowd will administer a beating on them.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I was witness to a Tomb Guard coming off the mat to silence a noisy civilian. It was right before the Veteran's Day wreath laying in 2007.

When I'd narrate heads of state wreath ceremonies I had to remind people to remain "silent and STANDING" more than a couple times.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    I know we do. ;) I was just using that terminology to demonstrate how passionately and seriously they take their job.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

I was witness to a Tomb Guard coming off the mat to silence a noisy civilian. It was right before the Veteran's Day wreath laying in 2007.

When I'd narrate heads of state wreath ceremonies I had to remind people to remain "silent and STANDING" more than a couple times.
    I seen one of the Solders leaving the Cemetery with a Suit bag (I assume carrying his uniform), they are just as ridged and precise away from the tomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    I seen one of the Solders leaving the Cemetery with a Suit bag (I assume carrying his uniform), they are just as ridged and precise away from the tomb.
    All of us in the Old Guard were/are...but those guys take it to a whole new level.

And it's a precision and professionalism that we end up taking with us to our follow on assignments.

I'd give anything to be able to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    We all do, or at least any family who lost a service member whose body was never recovered have family in there. All of my relatives in the last century came back alive, though, and I'm thankful for all of their returns except my now-deceased psycho second cousin. A lot of kids in this country would have been better off if Charlie had offed him.

They (and we) have brothers in there.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!