Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Still Reeling From The Storm 
    Don't know how many of you had heard but we had a beast of a storm blow through here early Saturday morning knocking out power to a good part of the mid-Atlantic. We've been out since about 1am Saturday morning and we might have power restored tomorrow night. I bought a generator to run a small air conditioner in our bedroom and our fridge but we lost most of the stuff out of our box freezer. Nothing really all that earth shattering like popcicles, Italian ice, a box of soft pretzels, and some little meals I take to work but we did lose about 5lbs of chicken. Could have been worse. Anyhoo, I'm at my in-laws right now piggy backing off of their internet service. Hope to get online at home soon. I'll be checking in when I can.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Don't know how many of you had heard but we had a beast of a storm blow through here early Saturday morning knocking out power to a good part of the mid-Atlantic. We've been out since about 1am Saturday morning and we might have power restored tomorrow night. I bought a generator to run a small air conditioner in our bedroom and our fridge but we lost most of the stuff out of our box freezer. Nothing really all that earth shattering like popcicles, Italian ice, a box of soft pretzels, and some little meals I take to work but we did lose about 5lbs of chicken. Could have been worse. Anyhoo, I'm at my in-laws right now piggy backing off of their internet service. Hope to get online at home soon. I'll be checking in when I can.
    yep. thank God for a generator. It was 103 Saturday here. Luckily power in my area wasn't off more than 7 hours. Many thousands more not so lucky.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Hope to see you soon, NJCF!
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Need to keep a check on the old folks, especially those living alone. Most folks can handle a few days of that but the oldest are at the greatest risk.

Seen too much of this in 35 years on the gulf coast. For Ike we were hot and steamy for about 4 days and we got our power back relatively early. Some were two weeks. The current home was without for 6 days. The first thing I did after we bought the place was put in a whole house NG auto-on generator.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

My mom is fine. She never lost power. My wife's cousin took in their grandmother but she got her power back this afternoon. Work crews are busting their asses so I'm not mad at them. I'm just pissed that my area is so far down the pecking order.

Sounds like the family is thinkin' rather than complainin' Good for them!!
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Hope your juice is back on soonest NJ!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Hope your juice is back on soonest NJ!!!
    Just got the power back on! My wife turned the lamp off in the bedroom(running off of our generator) and she noticed a window light on. She grabbed it and asked me how it could be on. Took us a few seconds to realize power was back on. Even cable and(obviously) internet is on. You never realize what you take for granted until it's not there. Thanks for all the well wishes. Your prayers worked!!

I've been reading bits about that storm. Yikes.

I'd have to go into camping mode and can do that easy enough where I am. Can't imagine trying to with that many people around.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Just got the power back on! My wife turned the lamp off in the bedroom(running off of our generator) and she noticed a window light on. She grabbed it and asked me how it could be on. Took us a few seconds to realize power was back on. Even cable and(obviously) internet is on. You never realize what you take for granted until it's not there. Thanks for all the well wishes. Your prayers worked!!
    That's for sure. I've gone without electricty before.. also we had our bathroom redone and had to go to the neighborhood Mickey Dee's. I'm spoiled and I admit it!
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.