Thread: Friday Funk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Friday Funk 
    Power CUer
    Yes, I know I have to pick the topic of the day. No, I don't want it to be about the financial markets, but it's hard to think about anything else. I don't like the government bailouts, but I don't like my investments emptying out because of something I had nothing to do with, either.

It's a gorgeous day in Washington. Blue skies with big puffy clouds, temperature around 70, a good day to wrap up some work and get on out of the office.

TOTD: Really simple. When we hit a massive bump in the road, as we did this week, what grounds you? It's not a religious question, so you don't have to say "Jesus". What's a good thing in your life that you're happy about, whether times are good or bad?

My 22nd wedding anniversary is on Sunday, and I'm happy to have my husband in my life. A solid marriage is very grounding, for me. And at least this week, "for richer, for poorer" is resonating. :)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

My granddaughter. She keeps me alive.

We will have another fine day here but there is a potential for showers in the evening. The weekend looks fantastic and we have some pretty decent steaks to grill.

TOTD: Well, my faith is important to me but aside from that, I usually focus on the positive side of things. I have a great marriage, a nice house, good friends and neighbors, a decent job, and three constantly amusing dogs. I have lived through some very bad times so I know what really bad times look like and this isn't it for me. :)

The Zombie Apocalypse - now that will be bad.

Banned
    Blue skys and cool weather here in southern New England. Off to the City for the weekend today, as my girlfriend will be attending her first of six implant classes. Planning a nice dinner at Aix and maybe a show. Otherwise, I'll just bang around while she's in class both days.

TOTD: Simple. My faith in myself and my own abilities to deal with any situation, no matter how bad.

Gotta work late tonight because of the midnight release of Books 3 in Christopher Paolini's popular "Eragon" series. Hopefully it won't be a Harry Potteresque mad-house, which it shouldn't.

TOTD: I have faith that every single book written by hardcore horror master Edward Lee will never, ever disappoint me, and that is true. Reading Brides of the Impaler right now and it ROCKS.

I have faith that the Pittsburgh Steelers will continue to have a successful season this year...or at least cinch the AFC North Division because the Ravens, Browns, and Bengals ALL suck this season.

I have faith that Sarah Palin will continue to infuriate libtards...

I have faith that the Brat will grow taller than me...hell, he's getting close now and he's 11!

And I have faith that Shannon will stay married to me because...well, c'mon...I am ME!
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Sunny morning here - waves non-existent again.

TOTD: The self-reliance taught to me by The Chief. Always have a back-up plan. Always smell betrayal before it arrives. Always punish betrayal and foster the reputation for doing so. Always respect the ways of others - but your own first.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Sunny highs in the low to mid 80's. Tonight is suppose to be the coolest since May. Thank God the summer is over. I'm too damned hot natured for that.

TOTD: I just look at my bills. We have done a good job of making sure we haven't accumulated so much debt that we couldn't make it if one of us got sick or hurt. We have a fixed rate mortgage with a monthly payment of $270. But when things do look bad, I just turn to my wife and my chirren.

Me and the wife.

My chirren.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    TOTD: I just look at my bills. We have done a good job of making sure we haven't accumulated so much debt that we couldn't make it if one of us got sick or hurt. We have a fixed rate mortgage with a monthly payment of $270. But when things do look bad, I just turn to my wife and my chirren.
    $270? Do you live in a car? :p Seriously, that's great. I add more each month to both the first and second mortgages, and I'm happy it's a manageable $3200. :D The point is being able to cover your needs and obligations, whatever their size, and being out of debt is a great feeling. All we have is the mortgage, and we don't have that much longer to go on that.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    $270? Do you live in a car? :p Seriously, that's great. I add more each month to both the first and second mortgages, and I'm happy it's a manageable $3200. :D The point is being able to cover your needs and obligations, whatever their size, and being out of debt is a great feeling. All we have is the mortgage, and we don't have that much longer to go on that.
    That's why I love South GA. 3 bedroom, 1 bath, kitchen, dining room, office. Around 2200 sq ft in all. 2 of our three vehicles are paid for.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    That's why I love South GA. 3 bedroom, 1 bath, kitchen, dining room, office. Around 2200 sq ft in all. 2 of our three vehicles are paid for.
    I hate you. :mad:
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)