Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    Keep it cool. And you should be alright. Heat, dust and lint (and sometimes animal hair, fur) are biggest enemies of laptops. It can add up over the years.
    very true...though I've seen computers running with YEARS of caked on dust and cig ash so go figure on that one

I've owned 4 Toshiba laptops (build my own desktops). The only major problems I've had is from the kids knocking them off the couch and shoving the powercord in breaking the peg off. Mine still works but had to get the wife a new one. mine is running hot for some reason, but I'm not sure what is going on.

Check Newegg (by far my first choice for comp parts) and Walmart/Best Buy. If you go in knowing what you are looking for at Best Buy, you wont get sold some POS that isn't worth the money.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    Keep it cool. And you should be alright. Heat, dust and lint (and sometimes animal hair, fur) are biggest enemies of laptops. It can add up over the years.
    It must be the animal hair that's getting my laptops. I've had 2 Dells over the years and both overheat. Bella sheds a lot for a greyhound.

Thanks for the advice. I take it that you don't include Dell in your list of recommended PC's.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

I don't understand the HP haters. My desktops have been nothing but HP's and never had a lick of trouble. Two laptops , one gateway & 1 HP , no problem with the HP even being knocked around a bit. The gateway I had to replace the keyboard after it drowned in Mountain dew.

I likewise recommend checking Newegg and/or Tigerdirect.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    I don't understand the HP haters. My desktops have been nothing but HP's and never had a lick of trouble. Two laptops , one gateway & 1 HP , no problem with the HP even being knocked around a bit. The gateway I had to replace the keyboard after it drowned in Mountain dew.

Like Janice said HP pulled a boner this year by eliminating a fan in their laptops, they are loaded with lawsuits because of it. I have had hp laptops in the past that worked well.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

what do you want the laptop to do, and how much are you willing to spend?

We've got 4 Dells - 2 desktops and 2 laptops. No problems of any kind. Both desktops are 6 or 7 yrs old and the laptops 4 yrs old. All I've done to them is add more RAM to the desktops when I got the stupid idea a couple of years ago to move from XP to Vista.

My wife still hasn't forgiven me, but that's got nothing to do with the computers.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    very true...though I've seen computers running with YEARS of caked on dust and cig ash so go figure on that one
    Its true, many of the older pc's run for years and years... with all kinds of crud built up on them. The reason this can happen is simple. They run a LOT cooler than the latest and greatest with all the bells and whistles that many people prefer. And part of that is the demand made by the newer operating systems, software and peripherals. They demand bigger and bigger cpu's which produce more and more intense heat. Plus the demand for bigger and bigger chips in the GPU's for graphics. Add to that the upgrades in the other hardware which is made cheaper and faster. Nobody knows how long the newer hdds are going to last, but we do know they are a poor design. Its just too soon to tell yet. The whole thing (the heat dispensation) makes portability harder and harder to comply with... w/o turning a lot of potential customers away. Something has to give.

But back to the original point, the older laptops and towers have the potential to outlive their newer cousins many times over. They are much slower sometimes but can frequently be upgraded to nearly compete or in some cases surpass the newer machines.

But if you ever do upgrade DO NOT get it in your mind to upgrade to Vista. Either XP or Win7 are the best. There are lots of little "secrets" that can make an old machine trump a newer one. This is one.. sorta. Its not really a secret but some are still learning the hard way. And a fast XP beats a slow Win7 for me any day. I actually make custom XP and Win7 operating systems slipstreaming w/ nLite and other little "tricks" for older laptops and towers for most brands. So depending on the hardware and the software you might actually be able to make an old sleeper 'come to life'. I used to have a Win95 machine that just blew the doors off any xp machine. But, I gave it away to somebody who really needed it. :)
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    It must be the animal hair that's getting my laptops. I've had 2 Dells over the years and both overheat. Bella sheds a lot for a greyhound.

Thanks for the advice. I take it that you don't include Dell in your list of recommended PC's.
    I think Dells are a bit of a crap shoot. Some are great... some not so much. I guess its best to do a bit of research on whichever particular model you are looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post

I dont hate HP. I guess I should have been a bit more specific. Unfortunately HP/ Compaq are one and the same sometimes. But the HP towers are great. No complaints from me on them. But stay away from the Compaq towers. They are great until they need repair then... they can be a real mess. The HP laptops are great too until they get into their over heating problems. But as I note above... the older HP's (or any older laptop) are a lot more 'forgiving' than the newer ones. And if you stay away from the DV model HP's... all the better.

Its not a 100% or one shoe fits all thing. Some of us are going to be luckier than others. And then theres the unforeseeable and behavioral things. Im just looking at the overall repair track record in my neck of the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck58 View Post
    We've got 4 Dells - 2 desktops and 2 laptops. No problems of any kind. Both desktops are 6 or 7 yrs old and the laptops 4 yrs old. All I've done to them is add more RAM to the desktops when I got the stupid idea a couple of years ago to move from XP to Vista.

My wife still hasn't forgiven me, but that's got nothing to do with the computers.
    You could go back to XP. Ive done it for people many times. You just have to save all your pics, docs, favs and whatever else you want to keep on separate medium (DVD, usb flash drive or external drive) or on a separate partition on your internal hdd. The reason being you would have to wipe the operating system partition and reload XP from scratch. You can upgrade to a newer OS but youd have to reload to go back to an older one. You probably still have the stickers on your pc's with the XP licenses on them. Just find an XP disk (home or pro) and use the license on the sticker on the outside of the pc. You can even download the disk if you dont have it. It sounds like a lot of work but its not really. A few hours, but its worth it. Then your done. And if you want you can "dress up" XP to look a lot like Vista or Win7.