Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    In the past two years I have purchased a new Gateway & a Toshiba.

I really like the Toshiba with the i7 core and 6 GB of RAM. It's pretty quick and does not get warm on my lap. Battery life is pretty good.

I have a few older ones also that still work as back ups and a couple directly hardwired to printers for different projects. One is an older HP, a Sony and a Compaq...they are much slower, but work when I need them.

I also purchased a Dell off ebay for my sister as a gift last year. She has not had any problems. It looked brand new and cost me less then $200.

I am sure no matter what you find, it will function much better then what you have now.

Happy shopping!

I think the one SR posted about would of been a good unit for $300. Rock and I have a difference of opinion.

It might just be me but heh for $300 or less give it a try. If it breaks throw it away and try something else.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I've only had laptops for work and they were all Compaqs or DELLs.

I've used desktops from DELL and have always been happy with them. I tend to keep a
    PC till it dies or gives clear signs the end is near.

I use to build my own desktops but getting a DELL just was easier.
    May the FORCE be with you!

I really luv the Dell desktops. But the motherboards are a bit on the expensive side if you ever have to replace one. And some of the older Dell laptops just seem to last forever. I havent seen enough of the newer ones to know one way or the other.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    You could go back to XP. Ive done it for people many times. You just have to save all your pics, docs, favs and whatever else you want to keep on separate medium (DVD, usb flash drive or external drive) or on a separate partition on your internal hdd. The reason being you would have to wipe the operating system partition and reload XP from scratch. You can upgrade to a newer OS but youd have to reload to go back to an older one. You probably still have the stickers on your pc's with the XP licenses on them. Just find an XP disk (home or pro) and use the license on the sticker on the outside of the pc. You can even download the disk if you dont have it. It sounds like a lot of work but its not really. A few hours, but its worth it. Then your done. And if you want you can "dress up" XP to look a lot like Vista or Win7.
    Actually, I tried that on mine. The XP (home and pro) disks I have are older and I ended up with giant 640x480 resolution and no way to change it to the 1366x768 I use. I figured to try it on mine first and, if it worked, put hers back to xp.

I've got a separate partition created where all documents etc are stored, and they're stored on a removable hard drive as well. The software, got disks for all but my vmware desktop and I've got the exe on removable and have the license key scribbled down somewhere on this mess I call a desk.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck58 View Post
    Actually, I tried that on mine. The XP (home and pro) disks I have are older and I ended up with giant 640x480 resolution and no way to change it to the 1366x768 I use.
    When you "go back" you frequently have to find a few of the drivers again. In your case the video drivers. If you go to system properties > hardware > device manager ... you will see exactly which ones you need. Otherwise you get the default settings like you did. Thats why its best when you can to "save" the drivers somewhere before you make the switch. If not, you just have to learn how to search for them. Sometimes you may not be able to find the exact same thing (if the manufacturer is longer supporting them or is no longer in existence) in which case you may have to go with a ForceWare or Catalyst driver (to get the higher resolution you require). The video, network, sound and chipset drivers are sort of critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck58 View Post
    ... and I've got the exe on removable and have the license key scribbled down somewhere on this mess I call a desk.
    I usually write the owner/ username, cpu info, memory type and license key for exactly which version windows was/ is used for most desktops I work on, somewhere inside the side panel you remove to work inside. Or I write it somewhere else inside the tower. I get all this information prior to changing the operating system for future reference. Likewise I collect this info and record it for laptops too.

It can really be a life saver (time saver) on future restorations and repairs.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I ordered this one for SLW:

ASUS X54L-BBK2 Laptop Computer
    / Intel Core i3-2350M 2.3GHz 2nd Generation Processor / 15.6-inch Display Screen
    / 4GB RAM / 320GB Hard Drive / DVD±RW Double Layer / 4-Cell Battery / Webcam /
    USB 3.0 / Gigabit Ethernet / Windows 7 Home Premium / Textured Black Suit

Got it on Amazon, new condition.

I know the HD isn't that big by todays standards but it's plenty big for her and she now
    has a better Processor and more RAM than my desktop!!!

Thanks to Rock for finding it!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post

I know the HD isn't that big by todays standards but it's plenty big for her and she now

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post

Wait about a year and replace the HD with an SSD.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg