Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Wait about a year and replace the HD with an SSD.
    Yeah, I love the idea of SSD's!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Yeah, I love the idea of SSD's!!!
    The 128 gigs are down to 90.00 and keep dropping. I use hybrids part SSD and part HD, I Have 750 and 500 gig models they are much cheaper than full SSD but by next year it won't matter.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Well I know you're talking about this...

I mean this...

May the FORCE be with you!

Yep, the ssd prices should keep dropping... in the US... as long as the SS 0bamination doesnt sail headlong into anymore icebergs.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    I don't understand the HP haters. My desktops have been nothing but HP's and never had a lick of trouble. Two laptops , one gateway & 1 HP , no problem with the HP even being knocked around a bit. The gateway I had to replace the keyboard after it drowned in Mountain dew.

I likewise recommend checking Newegg and/or Tigerdirect.
    Iran & N. Korea love the HPs that were sent to them by the United Nations.

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...a-by-un-agency

I ordered this one for SLW:

Got it on Amazon, new condition.

I know the HD isn't that big by todays standards but it's plenty big for her and she now
    has a better Processor and more RAM than my desktop!!!

Thanks to Rock for finding it!
    I actually just purchased this same brand of laptop off ebay today, new in box.
    I discovered my expensive Toshiba had some micro cracks under the LCD glass and the problem got worse when I started to jack with it with my fingers....lol It looks like the damage was right where the little stops are that keep the lid from closing on the keyboard. They are hard plastic stops rather then rubber ones I have seen on other models.

I will eventually get it fixed.

I'm not sure if I want to tackle the LCD replacement myself or not. I did a web search and could not even find the part number for my model. The next step is taking it apart to get the number off the LCD back...I might just drop it off for repair...

How hard could it be?

I find myself paying for things that I used to do myself.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    In the past two years I have purchased a new Gateway & a Toshiba.

I really like the Toshiba with the i7 core and 6 GB of RAM. It's pretty quick and does not get warm on my lap. Battery life is pretty good.

I have a few older ones also that still work as back ups and a couple directly hardwired to printers for different projects. One is an older HP, a Sony and a Compaq...they are much slower, but work when I need them.

I also purchased a Dell off ebay for my sister as a gift last year. She has not had any problems. It looked brand new and cost me less then $200.

I am sure no matter what you find, it will function much better then what you have now.

Happy shopping!

I think the one SR posted about would of been a good unit for $300. Rock and I have a difference of opinion.
    I was in the market for a new laptop last December to replace the eleven year-old Dell that was a gift from my last employer when I retired (still running Win 2000), I spoke to about a dozen friends in the business of repairing and purchasing laptops.......Toshiba was always either their first or second choice.

Since I needed something with some real processing power to run AutoCad, I ended up with a Toshiba Satellite running a really fast i7 quad-core with a 17 inch display, 8 GB of RAM, and a 786 GB HD, It's lightning fast, and has plenty of capacity, and the only time I ever hear the fans running is durinng virus scans, etc. It seems to run fairly cool. The Blu-Ray optical drive is handy as well, plus I love the keyboard design and function. Got it from Best Buy on closeout for $799, and they threw in Microsoft Office for free, as well as a two-year Toshiba warranty.

I'm really happy with it, the biggest problem I've experienced is mastering Windows 7.......still haven't figured out all of the capabilities.

I build my own desktops. When I replace the one that I have, I'm going to build it around an AMD six-core.

doc

I'm not sure if I want to tackle the LCD replacement myself or not. I did a web search and could not even find the part number for my model. The next step is taking it apart to get the number off the LCD back...I might just drop it off for repair...

How hard could it be?

I find myself paying for things that I used to do myself.
    Which model do you have? Sometimes its a little involved to replace it, sometimes its not.

Well I know you're talking about this...

I mean this...

The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

In the past two years I have purchased a new Gateway & a Toshiba.

I really like the Toshiba with the i7 core and 6 GB of RAM. It's pretty quick and does not get warm on my lap. Battery life is pretty good.
    I'd be careful about using it on your laptop. I know we call them laptops but its really a misnomer. When you have to use a 'laptop' on your lap I would first encourage you to look at the bottom and see just where the cooling vent(s) are. Typically the one to be concerned about is near the corner on the bottom where it will be sitting on your knee. This is where the input portal for the fan is. COOLING is numero uno for long life of a laptop. With lint and dust etc. number two.

Better to keep on a solid surface when possible. I see kids use them on beds and couches. This is how they eventually end up coming to me. A solid surface is good. Elevated on a solid surface is better. Because it gives more space for cooling. When I work on laptops I frequently use semi hard ice packs. I can work on a laptop that has cooling or broken fan issues all day and night like that. I just keep switching out the ice packs.

Sometimes I find a need to use my laptop on my lap. I either use something solid between my knee and the fan or I adjust to avoid blocking the fan directly. And then I finish as soon as possible to return to a more suitable location.

Just a thought.