Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    I see kids use them on beds and couches. This is how they eventually end up coming to me.
    I have seen several in the testing lab that have burned down houses.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TVDOC View Post
    I was in the market for a new laptop last December to replace the eleven year-old Dell that was a gift from my last employer when I retired (still running Win 2000), I spoke to about a dozen friends in the business of repairing and purchasing laptops.......Toshiba was always either their first or second choice.

Since I needed something with some real processing power to run AutoCad, I ended up with a Toshiba Satellite running a really fast i7 quad-core with a 17 inch display, 8 GB of RAM, and a 786 GB HD, It's lightning fast, and has plenty of capacity, and the only time I ever hear the fans running is durinng virus scans, etc. It seems to run fairly cool. The Blu-Ray optical drive is handy as well, plus I love the keyboard design and function. Got it from Best Buy on closeout for $799, and they threw in Microsoft Office for free, as well as a two-year Toshiba warranty.

I'm really happy with it, the biggest problem I've experienced is mastering Windows 7.......still haven't figured out all of the capabilities.

I build my own desktops. When I replace the one that I have, I'm going to build it around an AMD six-core.

doc
    The Toshiba is one of the best laptop/notebooks I have used. Plenty fast and I really like it.

Of course, some how I managed to damage the LCD screen. I plan on getting it fixed.

Right now I am typing on an older HP that gets Really HOT...I am lucky to type for twnety minutes before it shuts down on me...I have held onto it as it was the last computer my dad purchased for my mom before he died...somethings are hard for me to get rid of. :(
    Last edited by RobJohnson; 07-09-2012 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    I'd be careful about using it on your laptop. I know we call them laptops but its really a misnomer. When you have to use a 'laptop' on your lap I would first encourage you to look at the bottom and see just where the cooling vent(s) are. Typically the one to be concerned about is near the corner on the bottom where it will be sitting on your knee. This is where the input portal for the fan is. COOLING is numero uno for long life of a laptop. With lint and dust etc. number two.

Better to keep on a solid surface when possible. I see kids use them on beds and couches. This is how they eventually end up coming to me. A solid surface is good. Elevated on a solid surface is better. Because it gives more space for cooling. When I work on laptops I frequently use semi hard ice packs. I can work on a laptop that has cooling or broken fan issues all day and night like that. I just keep switching out the ice packs.

Sometimes I find a need to use my laptop on my lap. I either use something solid between my knee and the fan or I adjust to avoid blocking the fan directly. And then I finish as soon as possible to return to a more suitable location.

Just a thought.
    My Toshiba runs pretty cool. In the past I used cool pads, etc when using on my lap. I also have used laptop stands, etc.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    SLW's new laptop is mostly ready! If came around 2 but we had to run some errands so I didn't get to it to around 4pm.

She just has to show me which docs she wants moved and that should do it. Rock told me how to export the
    old Favorites list to the new PC which I just did.

The new PC is way faster than my desktop and even the Webcam is way better. Nice wide HD screen, it's pretty sweet!

May the FORCE be with you!

I'm still on the old, slow laptop til SR can get the other one set up. I have hundreds of emails to delete, been working on it this evening. I must be a secret email hoarder.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I have hundreds of emails to delete, been working on it this evening. I must be a secret email hoarder.
    I am prey to a similar malady, most of the time. Which reminds me ....
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    She still isn't using it!!!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    She still isn't using it!!!!!
    She will, right click on open area on desktop select personalize, click on get more themes online, select dogs in summer.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    She will, right click on open area on desktop select personalize, click on get more themes online, select dogs in summer.
    Finally using the new computer. It's difficult adjusting to Windows 7 and also to the new keyboard. I didn't realize how accustomed that I had become to the old technology. We moved my old computer to a desk in the guest bedroom. I'm going to take my time sorting out my emails. I'm too thrifty to buy the Outlook Express, decided that it's easier to just print the emails that I want to print that apply to the HOA board. I'm secretary and should have a printed record anyway.''

There are a few other emails that I need to keep, will try to figure out how to easily transfer to this computer. I have a feeling there is no easy way. Oh, well, that will teach me to keep too many emails.

I can't believe how sharp this screen is. My other one was fuzzy. I guess I don't need new glasses, just needed a new computer.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Finally using the new computer. It's difficult adjusting to Windows 7 and also to the new keyboard. I didn't realize how accustomed that I had become to the old technology. We moved my old computer to a desk in the guest bedroom. I'm going to take my time sorting out my emails. I'm too thrifty to buy the Outlook Express, decided that it's easier to just print the emails that I want to print that apply to the HOA board. I'm secretary and should have a printed record anyway.''

There are a few other emails that I need to keep, will try to figure out how to easily transfer to this computer. I have a feeling there is no easy way. Oh, well, that will teach me to keep too many emails.

I can't believe how sharp this screen is. My other one was fuzzy. I guess I don't need new glasses, just needed a new computer.
    You can put all the old emails in a file and put the file in the email program on your new machine and sort them there.