Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Another doctor bouncey 
    hisownpetard Donating Member (1000+ posts)

I just got back from visiting my doctor, who told me that the patient before me - a very wealthy and
    very staunch Republican - was saying how crucial it is for Obama to be defeated in November.

As the reasons for his believing this, he regurgitated every freeze-dried Republican talking point that's already been debunked
    a hundred times or more. And at the end of his ignorant diatribe, he leaned closer to the doctor and stage-whispered: "There's no way we can let *that guy* sleep in the Lincoln bedroom!"

My doctor said that when he left the examining room, he went directly to his desk and (for the first time in his life) made a political contribution, writing out a check for $1000.00.

To Barack Obama.
    hisownpetard
    Thu Sep-18-08 03:41 PM
    Response to Reply #2
    15. There were far worse things that the Repug guy said that actually made me queasy, but I can't/won't
    repeat them here.

And one of my doctor's sons just returned to Iraq/Afghanistan on his 3rd rotation (he volunteered), telling his dad that this time he won't be able to be in touch or have any contact with him for at least 3 months.

That was one month ago; two left to go.
    Zero bongs.

Why do so many of their bounceys involve doctors and dentists?

LINK: http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=132x7111211

How about a plumber?
    yardwork Donating Member (1000+ posts) Fri Sep-19-08 12:04 PM
    Original message
    I just talked to my plumber

I'll preface this by saying that several of his earlier comments this morning indicated to me that he might have a problem with non-white people. He didn't say anything direct enough for me to challenge, but I have my suspicions....

I didn't talk about politics with him while he was working on my pipes. Ok, I'm a wimp. Well, he did have a lot to say about the big box stores taking unfair advantage of small, locally owned plumbing businesses. The big box stores buy in bulk, so the suppliers give them better prices. I mentioned the big bail out of huge corporations. He expressed disgust for the situation.

As I was paying the bill in full, though, I said cheerfully that there was an election coming up. Very guarded response. Still cheerful (as I handed him the check) I asked, so who are you thinking about voting for? Chin stuck out belligerently, "I ain't saying."

Ok, I said, still cheerful. So then he says, "I'll tell you one thing. Whoever we get will be a pig in a poke." I responded, "Oh, I think that Obama would be a great president."

So the guy looks at me with these little mean eyes and I know exactly what he's thinking and he knows I know exactly what he's thinking and he decides not to go there. Instead, he says, "Well, I want to know more about this change. There was a young man once who was talking about change and the country he changed was Cuba."

I said, "Obama isn't anything like that." The plumber says, "Well, Obama says change but he hasn't told us anything about the change he has in mind." I said, "Actually, he's said quite a bit about his plans, and they sound very reasonable to me..."

The guy interrupts and says again. "Whoever we get will be a pig in a poke. I ain't made my mind up yet. I think I have, but I'm not quite sure." Then he says, "And anyway, my one little vote won't make a bit of difference." And he turned and walked away, not very friendly. I cheerfully waved goodbye.

My conclusions:

1. My plumber is very racist and is scared to death of actually voting for a black man for president.
    2. In an effort to hide his racism from himself and everyone he meets, he's trying to convince himself that Obama is a communist, but even he knows that it's a ridiculous assertion.
    3. He feels more comfortable saying that "Obama hasn't said what he means by change" because my plumber has carefully shielded himself from any source of information - TV, radio, internet, papers - that might give him those details.
    4. Despite all this, my plumber is so disgusted with the Republicans and McCain he can't bring himself to say their names or say anything positive about them. The best he can come up with is, "Whoever we get will be a pig in a poke."
    5. He probably won't vote. There is absolutely nothing motivating him to bother to vote for McCain.

This is very good news for Obama, the Democrats, and this country. The hard-core racist Republican base is so dispirited, they're referring to their own candidate as a pig in a poke!
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

My conclusions:

1. My plumber is very racist and is scared to death of actually voting for a black man for president.
    2. In an effort to hide his racism from himself and everyone he meets, he's trying to convince himself that Obama is a communist, but even he knows that it's a ridiculous assertion.
    3. He feels more comfortable saying that "Obama hasn't said what he means by change" because my plumber has carefully shielded himself from any source of information - TV, radio, internet, papers - that might give him those details.
    4. Despite all this, my plumber is so disgusted with the Republicans and McCain he can't bring himself to say their names or say anything positive about them. The best he can come up with is, "Whoever we get will be a pig in a poke."
    5. He probably won't vote. There is absolutely nothing motivating him to bother to vote for McCain.

This is very good news for Obama, the Democrats, and this country. The hard-core racist Republican base is so dispirited, they're referring to their own candidate as a pig in a poke!
    This is the second or third plumber one I've seen lately.

I love how the DUmmy came to her 5 conclusions based on an imaginary conversation. And of course, no Obama bouncey is complete without accusations of racism.

Sonnabend
    I just got back from visiting my doctor, who told me that the patient before me - a very wealthy and very staunch Republican - was saying how crucial it is for Obama to be defeated in November.
    Liar. Doctors do not discuss one patient with another. Privacy.

And one of my doctor's sons just returned to Iraq/Afghanistan on his 3rd rotation (he volunteered), telling his dad that this time he won't be able to be in touch or have any contact with him for at least 3 months.
    Another lie. Why would a doctor spend time with a patient, giving him personal details that are quite frankly, none of his business.

No bongs, no bong water..not even a match.

I not only don't believe any of these tales, I suspect that the authors have never actually interacted with either doctors or tradespeople.

This isn't 1955. Nobody has the time to gossip about politics with a doctor. You're already running an half hour late and you're nervous about why ever you're there and the doc has maybe 10 minutes or less to pick at your scab or whatever. You'd waste that time discussing politics? With somebody who could potentially jam a painful needle into you out of spite? I doubt it.

The same thing applies to tradespeople. They are busy and they only care about the job and the payment. They don't have time to argue politics and they don't want to get into it with a customer. They already have friends for that.

I have never had a political discussion in situations like these. The OPs never have either.

Well the doctor might just have been searching for small talk while he was fishing the gerbil out.
    “When the doctor is out, I’m in.”

Sonnabend
    Well the doctor might just have been searching for small talk while he was fishing the gerbil out.
    Wealth, standing, social status, sexuality, personal details of any patient are private. Thats a violation of confidentiality

A doctor does not ever discuss one patient with another.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Liar. Doctors do not discuss one patient with another. Privacy.
    That was what got my BS-o-Tron pinging also. How would this even come up in a conversation with a doctor anyway? Was there a lull in the conversation some time between the stripping out of your skivvies and his hand on your gunnysack that you felt had to be filled?

Doctor: "Stand up and take off your underwear, Mr. Johnson."

Patient: "Allright, Doctor. *Briefest of pauses* (whispers): "Grr, stupid Democrats."

Doctor: "Now please turn your head to the right and cough for me."

Patient: *COUGH COUGH!* "Wow, your hands are cold! Are you checking for lumps? I hate Barack Obama!"

I've been to the doctor a few times this year, and I can tell you when my physician walks in the room, politics are the last thing on my mind.

Also the whole 'he went and wrote a thousand-dollar check right after Patient X left' - I doubt it. Just about every doctor I've ever worked with is seeing a new patient every 15 minutes according to their billing sheets. I've wondered how some of them find time to pee, never mind writing checks out of contempt for a patient.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

Negative 10 bongs. How stupid do they think we are?
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

Quote Originally Posted by jinxmchue View Post
    How stupid do they think we are?
    You forget how insulated they are; they think everyone's as stupid as they are.